Are you interested in this opportunity? Click on Apply and your application will be submitted. If you know of someone else who might be interested, send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now! Tell A Friend
||British Columbia [BC]
||Sous Chef - Residence Dining
Compass Group Canada is the leading foodservice and support services company in Canada with over 25,000 associates and annual managed revenues of $1.5 billion in 2012. Employing 500,000 associates worldwide, its parent company, UK-based Compass Group PLC had revenues of £16.9 billion in 2012.
Our vision for growth and success is a powerful one, to combine fresh ideas with the industry’s greatest talent -- Great People, Great Service, Great Results!
Chartwells serves educational institutions from Kindergarten through Grade 12, colleges and universities. Chartwells provides responsible, healthy-eating solutions and education to its customers.
Position: Sous Chef
Location: Burnaby, BC – Simon Fraser University
We are currently seeking a motivated Sous Chef to assist the Executive Chef with the overall responsibility and day-to-day management of the Residence Dining Hall.
SFU’s totally revamped all-you-care-to-eat residence dining hall includes “Pulse on Dining” featuring made-to-order cooking, and “My Pantry” where students cook their favourite meals themselves and for their friends using ingredients provided. An expanded fresh fruit and salad bar responds to student demand for fresh, healthy, and local products.
In addition, we also offer a Grille station, Soups, Salad, and Deli Bar, a Pizza Bar, and a Fair trade coffee & selection of teas and other beverages.
The Sous Chef,
- Is responsible for assisting the Executive Chef in the unit, taking over the Executive Chef's duties in his / her absence
- Assist the Executive Chef with inventories, pricing, cost controls, requisitioning, and issuing supplies and equipment for food production.
- Prepares and supervise the culinary team in preparation of a wide variety of foods in addition to sharing food knowledge with the team
- Ensure good client relationships are maintained and that the client is satisfied with the service and menu options we provide
- Ensure strict compliance with Compass’ Quality Assurance and Health and Safety Program, Occupational Health and Safety Act and WHMIS regulations
- Coordinate frequent workplace inspections and WHMIS training of all staff and promptly report any workplace accident or incident to head office
- Make recommendations for maintenance, repair and upkeep of the kitchen, its equipment and other areas as appropriate.
Required: (please only apply if you meet all required qualifications):
- 3+ years related culinary supervisory experience in a fast paced production-oriented environment
- Red Seal Chef Certificate or equivalent
- Comprehensive knowledge of food trends with a focus on quality, production, sanitation, food cost controls and presentation
- Basic supervisory skills, capable of motivating, leading and developing associates
- Hard working team player
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Able to work in a fast paced environment and readily acceptable to change work priorities at any time
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word and Excel)
- Flexible working hours to accommodate business needs - this position may require evenings and weekend availability
Thank you for your interest in a career with Compass Group!
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. We will consider your resume for additional opportunities.
Compass Group Canada is committed to fostering a diverse and representative workforce and an inclusive work environment where all employees are treated fairly.