Are you interested in this opportunity? Click on Apply and your application will be submitted. If you know of someone else who might be interested, send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now! Tell A Friend
Compass Group Canada is the leading foodservice and support services company in Canada with over 25,000 associates and annual managed revenues of $1.5 billion in 2012. Employing 500,000 associates worldwide, its parent company, UK-based Compass Group PLC had revenues of £16.9 billion in 2012.
Our vision for growth and success is a powerful one, to combine fresh ideas with the industry’s greatest talent -- Great People, Great Service, Great Results!
Chartwells serves educational institutions from Kindergarten through Grade 12, colleges and universities. Chartwells provides responsible, healthy-eating solutions and education to its customers.
Position: Chef/Banquet Chef
Location: University of Calgary - Calgary, AB
Reporting to the Dining Center Food Service Director, the incumbent will plan, direct, and coordinate all aspects of catering events at the University of Calgary / Chartwells, including but not limited to:
- Overseeing all catering requirements for Chartwells events at the University of Calgary.
- Manage Ordering requirements, source all necessary ingredients and work closely with the Executive Chef to ensure all product deliveries are guaranteed and all labour and scheduling requirements are met.
- Menu development and costing for all catering including custom creative menu development / execution upon request**Staying on “Food Trends”
- Work with Catering Sales team as a liaison for the client’s needs, interpretation of clients “vision” from preliminary meeting to menu development and execution.
This hands-on position requires DIRECT and continuous interaction with customers and clients
Focus on “Event” presentation, including set-ups, small wares and décor through direct communication with catering front of house manager and leads.
- Directly supervise daily activities of 10 - 15 associates in the Catering (Hot & Cold) Food Service Department.
- Ensure that proper Health and Safety & WCB program are in place and maintained.
- Oversees in the preparation and service of food and beverage items in adherence to company food standards for presentation, sanitation and safety (meeting HACCP guidelines) and portion control.
- Build a strong team of associates through effective hiring, associate cross training, coaching, counseling, job descriptions, planning, and assigning work to all associates. Promote efficiency of operation and excellence in food and service through all associates. Lead by example.
- Excellent communication with fellow management, associates, and client to make sure the flow of business is running smoothly. Attend and participate in food service management team meetings.
- Manage associates by addressing complaints, resolving problems, daily follow up, and appraising their performance. Recognize and reward positive work, and disciplinary action for those not following company standards.
- Financial accountability including timely reporting, and all administrative duties.
- Efficient and accurate financial reporting of the food & Labour costs and other areas such as inventory, production records, knowledge and training of Chartwell’s procedures, etc….
- Maintain the highest standards and customer service levels set by the company and the client.
- Follow verbal and written instructions, or seek clarification, when required for work completion.
- Oversee development of new menu items and or new efficient production methods.
- Maintain acceptable inventory and turnover levels as prescribed by Company.
- Ensure daily waste sheets, temperature logs, as well as all other required audits, records, etc…. are performed as required.
- Anything deemed necessary by your Dining Center Director or Regional Director
Required: (please only apply if you meet all required qualifications):
- Prior experience in a high volume catering operation (high end hotel style catering experience, large group catering)
- Custom menu building & execution
- Knowledge of the methods, techniques, and practices involved with the preparation and service of food, as well as sanitation of facilities.
- Strong interpersonal skills, and are dependable and bondable.
- Self-motivated and creative
- Positive “can-do” attitude, and not afraid of change.
- Computer proficient (Word and Excel), and have a thorough understanding of basic accounting skills.
- Past experience in a college/university residence dining program would be an asset.
Thank you for your interest in a career with Compass Group!
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. We will consider your resume for additional opportunities.
Compass Group Canada is committed to fostering a diverse and representative workforce and an inclusive work environment where all employees are treated fairly.