Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
||Canlan Ice Sports is the largest private sector developer and operator of recreational ice sports facilities in North America. The company's success in the recreation and entertainment industry is attributed to a combination of innovative programming and world-class facilities. We understand our customers’ need for service excellence and are committed to it.
Canlan Ice Sports Scarborough is a state of the art, 4-pad facility. We’re home to over 550 Adult Safe Hockey League (ASHL) teams. Numerous adult & youth programs, events and tournaments operate year round. Our knowledgeable and friendly team ensure the best possible experiences. The Thirsty Penguin Grillhouse, located upstairs and our sport store in the lobby complement what we do. Additionally our satellite location – Canlan Ice Sports Victoria Park – a 2 pad facility is an extension of the on-ice fun we specialize in.
||Canlan Ice Sports - Scarborough
Canlan Ice Sports offers an impressive number of recreational and instructional programs for all ages and for all levels. These include Dasani™ 3on3, Hockey Academies, Skating Academies, Canlan Sports Camps and much more.
The Programs Manager is responsible for the management of all programs (inclusive of summer camps, learn to skate programs, volley ball programs, soccer programs (as examples)) within the facility. The incumbent provides energy, leadership and initiative in developing, growing and maintaining programs within the facility. This is balanced with strong customer service ability, team leadership and business acumen. Direct reports include Program Coordinators and the programs instructional team.
INFLUENCING/INDIVIDUAL LEADERSHIP, DEVELOPING OTHERS/COACHING MANAGING RESOURCES AND CONFLICT:
- Maintains an effective management and support structure that reflects the facility's requirements.
- Recruits, selects, hires and trains staff.
- Manages and develops staff within the department (inclusive of ongoing learning and development initiatives and related follow up / follow through).
- Ensures all staff adhere to:
- Canlan's policies, procedures and best practices.
- Reporting systems.
- Job expectations.
- Facilitates regular departmental meetings.
BUSINESS GOALS, ONGOING PLANNING AND WORK MANAGEMENT:
Provide Strategy and Planning Leadership
- Ensures that departmental priorities are aligned to and that the department team support:
- The Canlan Mission, Vision and Culture Statements.
- The Customer Service Charter.
- Corporate priorities.
- Supports Senior Management with developing and implementing the overall strategic plan.
- Ensures consistent delivery of Canlan's products and services to established standards using standard operating procedures.
- Communicates goals, objectives and expectations to facility staff and monitors performance against them on an ongoing basis.
TEAM (EFFECTIVE WORK GROUP) DEVELOPMENT AND CUSTOMER FOCUS/RELATIONSHIP:
- Actively solicits & participates in ongoing communication between other, Program Managers, Corporate Directors and Managers, Facility Department Managers and staff.
- Ensures all department staff adhere to the Customer Service Charter.
- Ensures staff is optimally scheduled to create positive customer service experience.
- Ensures customer questions/concerns are addressed in a timely manner.
- Ensures all Managers and staff are directly focused on exceeding customer service expectations.
- Provides customer relations.
- Troubleshoots customer service issues, as required.
Provide Health and Safety Leadership:
- Ensures Health and Safety Standards are met by all staff.
- Ensures a safe working environment and a safe customer environment for the facility as detailed in the Risk Management checklist.
- Ensure all department staff are trained on the Facility Emergency Plan and know what to do in case of an emergency.
DECISION MAKING AND RESULTS:
Manage Financial Accountability and Administrative Requirements:
- Assists in the development of the Administration Department’s Annual Operating Plan and responsible for its implementation, delivery and achievement.
- Manages Payroll for all direct reports, including submission of all relevant action forms, (i.e. adjustments, vacation holiday pay, personal days and hours worked) to the Office Manager.
- Provides facility financial forecasts (i.e. weekly, bi-weekly and a 3-month rolling format).
- Ensures the Accounts Receivable process is managed.
- Manages month end reporting procedures by reviewing monthly financial statements against the Annual Operating Plan and internal records, identifying variances and recommending corrective action if required.
- Assist the Sales & Marketing Mgr. with completing weekly revenue report.
STRATEGIC RELATIONSHIPS AND MANAGING CONFLICTS:
Manage Stakeholder Relationships:
- Ensures effective communication and working relationships with all stakeholders.
- Resolves conflicts between stakeholders, where required.
TECHNICAL SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
SALES ABILITY, PERSUASIVENESS AND FOLLOW-UP:
- Monitors sales results and provide leadership / feedback as required.
- Assists with sales calls and presentations.
- Reviews plans to maximize revenues prior to implementing.
- Identifies prospective customers.
- Ensure effective use of the CLASS Customer Relationship Management tools.
PROVIDES MARKETING LEADERSHIP:
- Ensures development and implementation of facility marketing strategy and action plan.
- On an ongoing basis, identifies the current market social, demographic and corporate trends that may impact the Program Department’s ability to meet its objectives.
- Ensures all corporate marketing initiatives are implemented.
- Develops and maintains strategic relationships to maximize revenue.
MARKET & SELL PROGRAMS
- With the Sales and Marketing Manager develop and implement program marketing strategy that supports the facility and the corporate strategic plan.
- Creates marketing initiatives /promotions for existing and new customers, including cross promotions.
- Manages and updates Website content for their respective facility.
IMPLEMENT & MANAGE PROGRAMS
- Identifies and justifies ice opportunities for programs, in conjunction with the Sales & Marketing Manager and GM.
- Responds to and troubleshoot issues outside of regular working hours.
- Ensures program equipment and supplies are in good working condition and adequate supplies available and properly secured.
- Ensures internal program and league ice is booked for upcoming season.
ENERGY & ENVIROMENTAL MANAGEMENT:
- Ensures consideration for best practices in energy use management and environmental impact are employed in all projects.
- Solid knowledge and experience in Ice & Other Sports (Hockey, Ringette, Figure Skating, Soccer etc.)including ability to teach and create lesson plans is essential as well as past playing experience.
- Creativity and innovation combined with excellent organizational skills.
- Previous event management experience is also an asset.
- Proven ability to prioritize effectively & work well with Customers, Co-Workers & Management.
- Diploma or Degree in Business, Recreation, Facility Management or a combination of experience and education.
- 2 years successful experience in a Sports related business in a supervisory level position.
- Strong Computer Skills (Microsoft Excel, Word, MS Publisher).
- Advanced knowledge of Marketing and previous Sales experience an asset.
|Type of Employment
||Salary - Regular Full Time