||Canlan Ice Sports is the largest private sector developer and operator of recreational ice sports facilities in North America. The company's success in the recreation and entertainment industry is attributed to a combination of innovative programming and world-class facilities. We understand our customers’ need for service excellence and are committed to it.
Canlan Ice Sports - Langley Twin Rinks is truly a unique multi-sport facility. Our facility accommodates numerous adult and youth programs, events and tournaments. Our friendly, knowledgeable and customer service oriented staff will ensure that your “Twin Rinks” experience will exceed your expectations. We have a 90,000 square foot facility with 2 NHL-sized ice rinks and The Thirsty Penguin Grillhouse (with banquet facilities).
||Canlan Ice Sports - Langley Twin Rinks
Canlan Ice Sports offers an impressive number of recreational and instructional programs for all ages and for all levels. These include Dasani™ 3on3, Hockey Academies, Skating Academies, Canlan Sports Camps and much more.
Under the direction of the Program Manager, the Program Coordinator is responsible for the direction of specified programs and more generally to assist with the sales/marketing and execution of all programs as well as in-house youth tournaments.
||CORE COMPETENCIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
(Integrity) Acting honestly with integrity, being productive, co-operative, accountable, responsible, flexible and positive.
- Proven work ethic, with utmost integrity.
- Maintains confidentiality
- Meets personal commitments.
- Adheres to policy & regulations.
MAINTAINS PERSONAL STANDARDS:
Being concerned with personal well being, maintains standards of dress and hygiene which align to Canlan guidelines.
- Dressed professionally as detailed in dress code policy.
ATTENDANCE, PUNCTUALITY AND TIMELINESS:
Achieves expectations with regards to schedules and is sensitive to the timeliness needs of others.
- Adheres to posted schedule.
- Understands holidays will be limited during peak seasons (i.e. summer or holiday camps).
- Is prepared and arrives early for each on-ice/off-ice instructional program.
Knows & understands the needs of the customer (both internal & external). Puts a high
priority on Customer Satisfaction.
- Listens and empathizes with customers.
- Clarifies customers' needs.
- Confirms customer satisfaction.
- Takes initiative with customers to actively sell products and services.
- Is available to answer questions before and after all on/off-ice instructional camps / programs to the best of their ability.
- Clarifies customer’s needs, responds to all emails, phone calls in a timely manner.
- Educates the customer on program delivery, purpose of the programs to actively sell our products & services.
Builds positive relationships with customers and fellow staff. Is responsive in dealing
with people. Displays a solid "service attitude".
- Participates in keeping all areas of the facility neat, tidy and safe at all times.
- Understands the purpose of each camp / program and the needs of the athletes.
- Is available to answer customer questions before & after all on-ice instructional programs to the best of their ability.
- Builds in “show case / volunteer” hours into regular work week to provide local minor hockey associations their instruction, to show case instructing ability and the products and services of Canlan Ice Sports in keeping with program marketing strategy.
- Assists fellow management in hosting trade shows and events while building relationships with the communities at these events.
- Sets a positive example for the instructors to follow, when dealing with all customers.
- Provides a fun and interactive learning environment.
- Works with other departments to cross-promote products and services where appropriate.
Works within and contributes to the effectiveness of the facility / department team. Respects differences, takes responsibility to help.
- Works effectively with others and independently.
- Desire to excel and succeed as a department and team.
- Sets the example, leads by example & expects the example to be followed by the team.
Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations.
- Ensures open, clear and effective communication occurs between Program Manager, the instructing staff, and the athletes we teach.
- Able to effectively host training sessions.
- Ensures instructor schedule is prepared in advance to ensure proper coverage of all classes based on required ratios.
- Ensures that the instructing staff focuses on exceeding customer service expectations both on the ice and off the ice.
- Processes strong observation skills to manage the ice, athletes & instructing staff.
- Is accountable for and provides follow up on all training programs with staff.
- Ability to defuse emotionally charged situations and strives to create win / win outcomes.
- Ability to listen effectively to all concerns and conflicts with an open mind and customer focus.
- Creates and maintains a positive and professional relationship with all stakeholders.
- Ability to provide constructive criticism/coaching to instructors as required.
- Provides a high level of accuracy and detail.
- Self-awareness, with a desire for constant self improvement (goal orientated).
- Provides a high level of professionalism on and off the ice.
- Takes ownership of 100% of all on-ice instructional programming (execution/delivery).
- Provides positive feedback and recognition for solid performance by instructing team.
- Has practice plans visible & available for assistant instructors to review throughout out the hour.
ADAPTABLE & FLEXIBLE:
- Must be flexible to work irregular shifts (evenings and weekends).
- Self motivated, passionate, empathetic and approachable.
- Willingness to assist on an as needed basis in other departments / areas (based on ability).
- Flexible and able to recognize and improve on the on-ice delivery when needed.
- Providing additional coaching (direction, feedback).
- Providing additional practice plans when needed to meet company & customer expectations.
- Ability to recognize a problem or trend and taking the appropriate steps to improve the situation or problem.
- Ability to be proactive, look back at weaknesses and move forward towards improvement.
- Ability to document the S.W.O.T. of the current season/session for future improvements.
UNDERSTANDS BUSINESS GOALS, PLANS & ORGANIZES:
- Is aware of the AOP targets & expectations.
- Assists, with day to day tasks, support the Program Manager by providing clear vision for progression and growth in the program offerings and the on-ice execution/delivery of each instructional hour.
- Is aware of training policies and procedures for all new hires.
- Independent Contractor and Employee training manuals & milestones.
- Aware of the importance of training the instructing staff.
- Provides Instructing Staff with annual evaluations, to ensure staff development.
- Understands and Sells the Canlan camps, programs based on teaching and learning proper technique in all skill areas (which is the foundation of our success).
- Understands the goals for the department and how they contribute to the overall success of the facility and the company.
TECHNICAL SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
Provide Health and Safety Leadership:
- Is aware of the Facility Emergency Plan.
- Reports any unsafe Health & Safety conditions.
- Is aware of location of First Aid kit and Incident Reports.
- Is "WHMIS” and "Workplace Violence" trained.
- Is aware of the location of the Defibrillator is and how to use it.
- Is trained to level one safety standards.
- Ensures all the gates closed prior to program starting and are the gates closed during the program hour.
- Implements all on-ice drills and activities as set out in the Canlan Ice Sports Community Programs Manual
- Identifies & recruits the needed contract instructors for the various programs.
- Oversees program execution, assist with program creation or implementation, keeps an ongoing record of new drills and preparation of lesson plans for all programs.
- Continuously keeps inventory of equipment and replace the needed equipment regularly.
- Has strong teaching skills and understanding how to teach proper technique.
- Has strong communication skills with athletes, parents, and instructing staff.
- Sets clear expectations to other Head Instructors when needed.
- Is able to adapt quickly to the group’s needs (splitting up based on skill level).
- Has an understanding of proper progression when teaching.
- Is the voice of authority; continuous managing, leading and directing the instructors (where to stand, when to assist players-fix bad habits).
- Is able to multi-task on the ice.
- Manage the ice flow; from one drill to the next.
- Keep player movement at 70% participation at all times.
- Manage and direct the Instructors throughout the ice session.
- Manage and correct the athlete’s weaknesses.
- Is able to identify instructors ability as individual instructors and as a team.
- Is able to identify what training requirements are needed to improve and develop the current staff.
- Provides all instructing staff with a formal employee evaluation once a year.
- Has proficient computer skills in: CLASS, Microsoft Office and Outlook.
- Ensures all Instructing staff have completed a Police Background check.
ENERGY & ENVIROMENTAL SENSITIVITY:
- Ensures consideration for best practices in energy use management and environmental impact are employed.
- Willingness and ability to work flexible hours (evenings & weekends).
- Experience working in a sports or leisure environment such as hockey camps or other children/youth camps, or coaching children and/or adults.
- Good understanding of skating and hockey fundamentals.
- CHA Initiation Program Certified Instructor, NCCP Coach level certification, Can Skate certification and/or Basic First Aid training, (singularly or any combination) preferred.
- Experience in customer service or marketing.
- Graduation from a university/college in the Sports/Leisure Administration or kinesiology preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office software (particularly Excel and Word).
|Type of Employment
||Salary - Regular Full Time