Canlan Ice Sports is the largest private sector developer and operator of recreational ice sports facilities in North America. The company's success in the recreation and entertainment industry is attributed to a combination of innovative programming and world-class facilities. We understand our customers’ need for service excellence and are committed to it.
Canlan Ice Sports Saskatoon – Jemini and Agriplace are the coolest sports and entertainment facilities in Saskatoon! Combined we have 6 NHL-sized sheets of ice. Numerous adult & youth programs, events and tournaments operate year round. Agriplace features the Thirsty Penguin Express licensed concession and Jemini has the Thirsty Penguin Grillhouse and a full service sport store. Our knowledgeable and friendly team ensure the best possible experiences.
||Canlan Ice Sports - Saskatoon
Canlan Ice Sports offers an impressive number of recreational and instructional programs for all ages and for all levels. These include Dasani™ 3on3, Hockey Academies, Skating Academies, Canlan Sports Camps and much more.
To consistently provide exceptional customer experiences through the execution / delivery of full day sport specific camps (as set out in the standardized portfolio brands) within the Canlan environment. It is important to note that “full day” camps included both on ice / on field as well as off ice / off field activities.
(Integrity) Acting honestly with integrity, being productive, co-operative, accountable, responsible, flexible and positive.
- Proven work ethic, with utmost integrity.
- Maintains confidentiality
- Meets personal commitments.
- Adheres to policy & regulations.
- Willingness to take direction and learn.
- Has a positive enthusiastic attitude.
- Willingness to follow and execute a daily itinerary.
MAINTAINS PERSONAL STANDARDS:
Being concerned with personal well being, maintains standards of dress and hygiene which align to Canlan guidelines.
- Dressed professionally as detailed in dress code policy.
ATTENDANCE, PUNCTUALITY AND TIMELINESS:
Achieves expectations with regards to schedules and is sensitive to the timeliness needs of others.
- Adheres to posted schedule.
- Has clearly communicated his/her summer availability to the PM/PC or HOAD.
Knows & understands the needs of the customer (both internal & external). Puts a high
priority on Customer Satisfaction.
- Is available to answer questions before and after all on/off-ice instructional camps / programs to the best of their ability.
- Understands his/her responsibilities & role as a camp instructor / instructor.
Builds positive relationships with customers and fellow staff. Is responsive in dealing
with people. Displays a solid "service attitude".
- Participates in keeping all areas of the facility neat, tidy and safe at all times.
- Assists in correcting players bad habits in a positive and encouraging manner.
- Communicates and works well with fellow instructors.
- Understands the purpose of each camp / program and the needs of the athletes.
- Is available to answer customer questions regarding to the best of their ability.
- Assists in tying players skates & ensures their equipment is in good repair.
- Provides a fun and interactive learning environment.
Works within and contributes to the effectiveness of the facility / department team. Respects differences, takes responsibility to help.
- Works effectively with others and independently.
- Reviews itinerary hourly and daily.
- Reviews practice plans prior to the ice session and throughout each hour.
- Communicates with fellow instructors daily events and always the on-ice drill set up.
- Hands out promotional materials to the parents, during the week.
- Stands in appropriate place to ensure safety & maximize participant learning as appropriate for the specific sport.
Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations.
- Understands how to read and execute the itinerary and practice plans.
- Demonstrates strong communication of drills and expectations to the athletes in group situations.
- Understands how to communicate and teach proper technique in all skill areas.
- Understands what weaknesses to look for/corrects players bad habits immediately.
- Can adjust practice plan / or outdoor games to accommodate skill level.
- Demonstrates strong time management with little down time between drills.
- Has a clear understanding between high energy & low energy games and their importance.
- Adaptable and able to communicate positively and effectively with customers, participants and staff.
- Ability to defuse emotionally charged situations.
- Ability to recognize and change games or activities when they are not necessarily working and/or are appropriate.
- Self-awareness, with a desire for constant self improvement (goal orientated).
- Provides positive encouragement and feedback to all athletes.
- Sets and enforces the rules and standards for athletes follow (3 strike rule, camper of the week award).
- Ensures each camp hour has the correct appropriate equipment.
- Ensures athletes are fed (eat the lunch they brought or from the “meal plan”... if not follow up as to “why”.
- Ensures all athletes equipment is in good repair and skates are tightened.
- Ensures that all athletes are having and participating in the on or off-ice activities
- Instructors are involved in the off-ice games & activities.
- Willing to work to exceed expectations.
ADAPTABLE & FLEXIBLE:
- Ability to take direction from Head Instructors.
- Ability to correct athletes weaknesses(bad habits) immediately.
- Self motivated, passionate, empathetic and approachable.
- Ability to follow, execute and adjust games/activities when needed.
- Willingness to work on weeks not scheduled; if available.
- Ability to recognize when a drill isn’t working and correct it immediately.
- Ability to recognize an athlete’s or groups varying attention span and be proactive.
UNDERSTANDS BUSINESS GOALS, PLANS & ORGANIZES:
- Understands that the camp hours are based on registrations.
- Understands that all training sessions are mandatory.
- Understands how employee evaluations are delivered and goals are set.
- Understand that as Instructors we are the front line of each program or camp, and must exceed all expectations.
TECHNICAL SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
Provide Health and Safety Leadership:
- Is aware of the Facility Emergency Plan.
- Reports any unsafe Health & Safety conditions.
- Is aware of location of First Aid kit and Incident Reports.
- Is "WHMIS” and "Workplace Violence" trained.
- Completes a safety check of the ice and boards prior to starting the program.
- Has completed a safety check at all outdoor areas (walking fields etc prior to outdoor activity).
- Ensures all the gates closed prior to program starting and are the gates closed during theprogram hour.
- Adheres to all Risk Management policies and procedures.
- Ensures all on-ice or field equipment is safe repair.
- Head counts are done before and after arriving at different locations/Buddy System is in effect
- Is aware of the location of the Defibrillator is and how to use it.
- Reviews, follows and executes the itinerary, practice plans for each day.
- Has strong communication skills with athletes, parents and fellow instructors.
- Has strong teaching skills and understanding how to teach proper technique.
- Is able to recognize player’s weaknesses and correct them immediately.
- Has an understanding of proper progression when teaching.
- Understands of the importance in Risk Management and follow the policies/procedures.
- Is outgoing, energetic, upbeat and fun.
- Is able to communicate drills, provide a visual drawing of the drill and demonstrate each program.
- Is able to adapt quickly to the group’s needs (splitting up based on skill level).
- All Instructing staff have completed a Police Background check.
ENERGY & ENVIROMENTAL SENSITIVITY:
- Ensures consideration for best practices in energy use management and environmental impact are employed.
- Willingness and ability to work flexible hours.
- Team oriented.
- Enjoy working with children.
- Great People and Relationship Skills.
- Strong Leadership Skills.
- Strong Communicator.
- Excellent Organizational Skills.
- Strong Work Ethic.
- Minimum two years of sports instructing experience.
- Past Coaching/Teaching Experience preferred.
- Graduation from a university/college or active enrolment in a Sports/Leisure Administration
- Program a strong asset.