||Canlan Ice Sports is the largest private sector developer and operator of recreational ice sports facilities in North America. The company's success in the recreation and entertainment industry is attributed to a combination of innovative programming and world-class facilities. We understand our customers’ need for service excellence and are committed to it.
Canlan Ice Sports - York is the heart of hockey for the GTA. Our facility houses 6 ice rinks (5 NHL and 1 Olympic) all under one roof, with meeting & conference rooms, the Thirsty Penguin Grillhouse is upstairs and a full service pro-shop in the lobby. We’re the proud home of the York University Men’s Varsity & Women’s Varsity teams, along with the Villanova Knights of the OPJHL. Numerous adult & youth programs, events and tournaments operate year round. Our knowledgeable and friendly team ensure the best possible experiences.
We are leaders in the adult recreation hockey market. Our Adult Safe Hockey League (ASHL) has over 75,000 registered players. In order to continue to build upon this success story, Canlan is dedicated to continually improving its customer brands, its methods and its people.
To consistently provide exceptional customer experiences to League members and to assist with League operations, as directed by the League Manager. The League Convener is a direct link to the teams from the facility management.
Please note: This position is for the Sunday ASHL league.
(Integrity) Acting honestly with integrity, being productive, co-operative, accountable, responsible, flexible and positive.
- Proven work ethic, with utmost integrity.
- Maintains confidentiality
- Meets personal commitments.
- Adheres to policy & regulations.
MAINTAINS PERSONAL STANDARDS:
Being concerned with personal well being, maintains standards of dress and hygiene which align to Canlan guidelines.
- Dressed professionally as detailed in dress code policy.
ATTENDANCE, PUNCTUALITY AND TIMELINESS:
Achieves expectations with regards to schedules and is sensitive to the timeliness needs of others.
- Adheres to posted schedule.
Knows & understands the needs of the customer (both internal & external). Puts a high
priority on Customer Satisfaction.
- Listens and empathizes with customers.
- Clarifies customers' needs.
- Confirms customer satisfaction.
- Takes initiative with customers to actively sell products and services.
Builds positive relationships with customers and fellow staff. Is responsive in dealing with people. Displays a solid "service attitude".
- Participates in keeping all areas of the facility neat, tidy and safe at all times.
Works within and contributes to the effectiveness of the facility / department team. Respects differences, takes responsibility to help.
- Mentors junior staff members.
- Provides assistance with the preparation and execution of seasonal Team
- Representative meetings and annual Referee Training Clinics.
- Actively participates in the Referee evaluation process and ensures a consistent flow of constructive feedback about on-ice officials to the League Manager and Facility Referee-in-Chief (FRIC).
- Works effectively with others and independently.
- Works to cross promote other departments at all times where required.
- Has a general understanding of other departments products and offerings.
Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations.
- Adaptable and able to communicate positively and effectively with customers, participants and staff.
- Assist with the creation and communication of league (and tournament) playing schedules
- Exceptional in-person customer communication and decision-making skills, confident and comfortable in one-to-one and group (dressing room) environments
- Can confidently interpret, communicate, and enforce League rules as required.
- Attends all department meetings when required.
- Is up-to-date with current promotions and contests; can comfortably convey promotional messages to customers in one-to-one and group (dressing room) environments to increase awareness and participation.
- Ability to defuse emotionally charged situations and strives for win / win outcomes.
- Ability to listen effectively to all concerns and conflicts with an open mind and customer focus.
- Creates and maintains a positive and professional relationship with all stakeholders.
- Provides a high level of accuracy and detail.
- Self-awareness, with a desire for constant self improvement (goal orientated).
- Provides a high level of professionalism on and off the ice.
ADAPTABLE & FLEXIBLE:
- Must be flexible to work irregular shifts (evenings and weekends).
- Self motivated, passionate, empathetic and approachable.
- Functions / fills in as “Manager on Duty” on an as required basis.
- Willing to take on new challenges and responsibilities as required.
- Ability to recognize a problem or trend and taking the appropriate steps to improve the situation or problem.
- Ability to be proactive, look back at weaknesses and move forward towards improvement.
UNDERSTANDS BUSINESS GOALS, PLANS & ORGANIZES:
- Ability to prioritize and multi task.
- Is aware of the AOP targets & expectations.
- Protects the Integrity of the ASHL Brand/Product at all times by ensuring quality of delivery in the standardized format as directed by the Canlan National Office and the League Manager.
TECHNICAL SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
Provide Health and Safety Leadership:
- Is aware of the Facility Emergency Plan.
- Reports any unsafe Health & Safety conditions.
- Is aware of location of First Aid kit and Incident Reports.
- Is "WHMIS” and "Workplace Violence" trained.
Is trained to level one safety standards.
- Is aware of the location of the Defibrillator is and how to use it.
- Ensures a written account of important information is communicated to the League Manager—via the nightly Convenor Report.
- Ensures League registration fees (for teams and individuals) are collected in accordance with established payment policies and best-practices.
- Possesses an excellent working knowledge of current Hockey Canada (and/or USA Hockey) and applicable League rules.
- Strong working knowledge of online statistics hardware and software (including customer features, administrative tools and processes).
- Utilizing current booking protocols, the League Convenor is responsible for preparing the bi-weekly or monthly schedules for on-ice Officials (draft schedules to be reviewed and approved by the League Manager and Facility Referee-in-Chief).
- Possesses a strong working knowledge of suspension guidelines and processes. Assists the League Manager with the assessment, communication and enforcement of suspensions.
- Has proficient computer skills in: CLASS.
- Possesses a strong knowledge of Canlan brand features and competitive advantages (including online tools and services).
ENERGY & ENVIROMENTAL SENSITIVITY:
- Ensures consideration for best practices in energy use management and environmental impact are employed.
- Willingness and ability to work flexible hours (evenings & weekends).
- Knowledge of hockey rules.
- Team oriented with GREAT communication skills.Good understanding of tournament draws.
- Minimum one year of experience in a hockey related field in an operations capacity.
- Experience in customer service and marketing preferred.
- Graduation from a university/college in the Sports/Leisure Administration field preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office software (particularly Excel and Word).
|Type of Employment
||Hourly - Regular Part Time/Casual