||Canlan Ice Sports is the largest private sector developer and operator of recreational ice sports facilities in North America. The company's success in the recreation and entertainment industry is attributed to a combination of innovative programming and world-class facilities. We understand our customers’ need for service excellence and are committed to it.
Canlan Ice Sports Oakville is a state-of-the-art multi-purpose entertainment and recreation facility. With four NHL sized ice surfaces, our facility accommodates numerous adult and youth programs, events and tournaments. In 2007 we received the Oakville Beaver’s “Best Children’s Programs” award. We’re home to over 500 Adult Safe Hockey League (ASHL) teams! Off - ice services include the Thirsty Penguin Grillhouse and our sport store.
||Canlan Ice Sports - Oakville
||Program Coordinator (Youth 3 on 3)
Canlan Ice Sports offers an impressive number of recreational and instructional programs for all ages and for all levels. These include Dasani™ 3on3, Hockey Academies, Skating Academies, Canlan Sports Camps and much more.
Under the direction of the Program Manager, the Program Coordinator is responsible for the direction of the 3 on 3 Youth Hockey League and more generally to assist with the sales/marketing and execution of all programs as well as in-house youth tournaments.
Please Note: This position is a seasonal role that will start mid April and finish the end of August.
(Integrity) Acting honestly with integrity, being productive, co-operative, accountable, responsible, flexible and positive.
- Proven work ethic, with utmost integrity.
- Maintains confidentiality
- Meets personal commitments.
- Adheres to policy & regulations.
MAINTAINS PERSONAL STANDARDS:
Being concerned with personal well being, maintains standards of dress and hygiene which align to Canlan guidelines.
- Dressed professionally as detailed in dress code policy.
ATTENDANCE, PUNCTUALITY AND TIMELINESS:
Achieves expectations with regards to schedules and is sensitive to the timeliness needs of others.
- Adheres to posted schedule.
- Understands holidays will be limited during peak seasons (i.e. summer or holiday camps).
- Is prepared and arrives early for each on-ice/off-ice activity.
Knows & understands the needs of the customer (both internal & external). Puts a high priority on Customer Satisfaction.
- Listens and empathizes with customers.
- Clarifies customers' needs.
- Confirms customer satisfaction.
- Takes initiative with customers to actively sell products and services.
- Is available to answer questions before and after all on/off-ice instructional camps / programs / leagues to the best of their ability.
- Clarifies customer’s needs, responds to all emails, phone calls in a timely manner.
- Educates the customer on program delivery, purpose of the programs to actively sell our products & services.
Builds positive relationships with customers and fellow staff. Is responsive in dealing with people. Displays a solid "service attitude".
- Participates in keeping all areas of the facility neat, tidy and safe at all times.
- Understands the purpose of each camp / program / league and the needs of the athletes.
- Is available to answer customer questions before & after all on-ice activities to the best of their ability.
- Assists fellow management in hosting trade shows and events while building relationships with the communities at these events.
- Sets a positive example for the instructors to follow, when dealing with all customers.
- Provides a fun and interactive environment.
- Works with other departments to cross-promote products and services where appropriate.
Works within and contributes to the effectiveness of the facility / department team. Respects differences, takes responsibility to help.
- Works effectively with others and independently.
- Desire to excel and succeed as a department and team.
- Sets the example, leads by example & expects the example to be followed by the team.
Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations.
- Ensures open, clear and effective communication occurs between Program Manager, the staff, volunteers, parents and the athletes.
- Ensures schedule is prepared in advance to ensure proper coverage.
- Ensures staff focuses on exceeding customer service expectations both on the ice and off the ice.
- Is accountable for and provides follow up with staff.
- Ability to defuse emotionally charged situations and strives to create win / win outcomes.
- Ability to listen effectively to all concerns and conflicts with an open mind and customer focus.
- Creates and maintains a positive and professional relationship with all stakeholders.
- Ability to provide constructive criticism/coaching to instructors as required.
- Provides a high level of accuracy and detail.
- Self-awareness, with a desire for constant self improvement (goal orientated).
- Provides a high level of professionalism.
ADAPTABLE & FLEXIBLE:
- Must be flexible to work irregular shifts (evenings and weekends).
- Self motivated, passionate, empathetic and approachable.
- Willingness to assist on an as needed basis in other departments / areas (based on ability).
- Ability to recognize a problem or trend and taking the appropriate steps to improve the situation or problem.
- Ability to be proactive, look back at weaknesses and move forward towards improvement.
- Ability to document the S.W.O.T. of the current season/session for future improvements.
UNDERSTANDS BUSINESS GOALS, PLANS & ORGANIZES:
- Is aware of the AOP targets & expectations.
- Assists, with day to day tasks, support the Program Manager by providing clear vision for progression and growth in the program offerings.
- Is aware of training policies and procedures for all new hires.
- Independent Contractor and Employee training manuals & milestones.
- Provides Independent Contractors with evaluations, to ensure staff development.
- Understands and Sells the Canlan camps, programs based on teaching and learning proper technique in all skill areas (which is the foundation of our success).
- Understands the goals for the department and how they contribute to the overall success of the facility and the company.
TECHNICAL SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
Provide Health and Safety Leadership:
- Is aware of the Facility Emergency Plan.
- Reports any unsafe Health & Safety conditions.
- Is aware of location of First Aid kit and Incident Reports.
- Is "WHMIS” and "Workplace Violence" trained.
- Is aware of the location of the Defibrillator is and how to use it.
- Is trained to level one safety standards.
- Identifies & recruits the needed Independent Contractors for the various programs.
- Oversees program execution, assist with program creation or implementation
- Continuously keeps inventory of equipment and replace the needed equipment regularly.
- Has strong communication skills with athletes, parents, and instructing staff.
- Is able to identify what training requirements are needed to improve and develop the current staff.
- Daily administration including, but not limited to; convening, referee/timekeeper scheduling, league statistics, conflict resolution and divisional alignment.
- Aggressive recruitment of teams, individual participants, goalies and volunteer coaches.
- Communication of team playing schedules, and interpretation of league rules to coaches.
- Problem solving as required and act as a direct liaison from management to the coaches and players. Including visitation to team dressing rooms and convening duties.
- Conduct coaches meetings and referee/timekeeper clinics.
- Collection of all team/player registration fees and waivers.
- Requesting payment of all independent contractors and payroll for part time staff associated with the league operations.
- Preparation and planning for future seasons including assisting in the Annual Operating Plan.
- Has proficient computer skills in: CLASS, Microsoft Office and Outlook.
- Ensures all volunteer coaching staff have completed a Police Background check.
ENERGY & ENVIROMENTAL SENSITIVITY:
- Ensures consideration for best practices in energy use management and environmental impact are employed.
- -Willingness and ability to work flexible hours (evenings & weekends).
- Experience working in a sports or leisure environment such as hockey camps or other children/youth camps, or coaching children and/or adults or as an example running leagues.
- Good understanding of skating and hockey fundamentals.
- Ability to interpret a rule book and administer in a fair manner the rules and penalties associated with operating a multi-team league.
- Asset – Respect in Sport Certification and/or Canadian Coaching Association levels.
- Asset – Hockey Referee experience
- Experience in customer service or sales & marketing.
- Graduation from a university/college in the Sports/Leisure Administration or kinesiology preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office software (particularly Excel and Word).