Canlan Ice Sports is the largest private sector developer and operator of recreational ice sports facilities in North America. The company's success in the recreation and entertainment industry is attributed to a combination of innovative programming and world-class facilities. We understand our customers’ need for service excellence and are committed to it.
||Canlan Classic Tournaments
||Tournament Manager (Bilingual)
Reporting to the Tournament Division Director, the Tournament Manager is responsible for sales, registration and execution of Canlan Classic Tournaments. The Tournament Manager will ensure that this segment meets or exceeds its team registration targets and financial objectives while delivering each event with superior customer service.
The position is responsible for all aspects of the sales, registration & tournament operations, including customer / market research, competitive analysis, customer communication and business reporting. The Tournament Manager will partner up with others to ensure efficient operations within the division.
The Tournament Manager will be responsible for interviewing, hiring, training and the performance evaluations of Tournament Coordinator(s) as well as lead them in all aspects of tournament planning, operations and execution.
INFLUENCING/INDIVIDUAL LEADERSHIP, DEVELOPING OTHERS/COACHING MANAGING RESOURCES AND CONFLICT:
- Maintains an effective management and support structure that reflects tournament requirements.
- Recruits, selects, hires and trains staff.
- Manages and develops staff within the department (inclusive of ongoing learning and development initiatives and related follow up / follow through).
- Ensures all staff adhere to:
- Canlan's policies, procedures and best practices.
- Reporting systems.
- Job expectations.
- Facilitates meetings (as required).
BUSINESS GOALS, ONGOING PLANNING AND WORK MANAGEMENT:
Provide Strategy and Planning Leadership
- Supports Senior Management with developing and implementing the overall A.O.P. (Annual Operating Plan).
- Ensures consistent delivery of Canlan products and services through the application of standard operating procedures.
- Communicates goals, objectives and expectations to department staff and monitors performance against them.
- Ensures that the Tournament Team is aligned with and supports:
- The Canlan Mission, Vision and Culture Statements.
- The Customer Service Charter.
- Corporate priorities.
TEAM (EFFECTIVE WORK GROUP) DEVELOPMENT AND CUSTOMER FOCUS/RELATIONSHIP:
- Actively solicits & participates in ongoing communication with the Tournament Director, Brand Team, Corporate Managers, other facility Department Managers and staff as required.
- Ensures that staff is optimally scheduled to create a positive customer service experience.
- Ensures customer questions/concerns are addressed in a timely manner.
- Ensures that staff is directly focused on exceeding customer service expectations.
- Troubleshoots customer service issues, as required.
Provide Health and Safety Leadership:
- Ensures Health and Safety Standards are met by all staff.
- Ensures a safe working environment and a safe customer environment for the facility as detailed in the Risk Management checklist.
- Ensure all department staff members are trained on the Facility Emergency Plan and know what to do in case of an emergency.
DECISION MAKING AND RESULTS:
Manage Financial Accountability and Administrative Requirements:
- Assists in the development of the Annual Operating Plan and is responsible for its implementation, delivery and achievement.
- Manages payroll for all direct reports and submits all relevant action forms, (i.e. adjustments, vacation holiday pay, personal days and hours worked) to the Office Coordinator.
- Ensures payments are made to all independent contractors (e.g. referees, timekeepers) in keeping with established best practices.
- Ensures the Accounts Receivable process is managed.
- Manages post event reporting procedures by reviewing financial results against the Annual Operating Plan and internal records, identifying variances and recommending corrective action if required (inclusive of timely and accurate expense reporting).
STRATEGIC RELATIONSHIPS AND MANAGING CONFLICTS:
Manage Stakeholder Relationships:
- Ensures effective communication and working relationships with all stakeholders.
- Resolves conflicts between stakeholders, where required.
TECHNICAL SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
SALES ABILITY, PERSUASIVENESS AND FOLLOW-UP:
- Drives sales results and provides leadership / feedback as required.
- Assists with sales calls and presentations.
- Recommends plans to maximize revenues prior to implementing.
- Identify prospective customers.
- Provides support and expertise to “in house” and “third party” tournaments.
- Maintains and measures related e-Marketing databases and campaign results.
PROVIDES MARKETING LEADERSHIP:
- Ensures development and implementation of tournament marketing strategy and action plan related to their business segment.
- On an ongoing basis, identifies and communicates the current market social, demographic and corporate trends that may impact the department’s ability to meet its objectives.
- Ensures all corporate marketing initiatives are implemented and effectively executed.
- Develops and maintains strategic relationships within the sport community in the facilities’ catchment area to maximize revenue.
PLAN TOURNAMENT OPERATIONS:
- Is responsible for the registration of tournaments locally and in destinations as assigned.
- Prepares team playing schedules utilizing scheduling software.
- Analyzes the effectiveness of the ice plan with other members of the revenue team.
- Provides successful initiatives to assist in the support of all tournament operations and the building of best practices.
- Provides regional perspective of tournament operations to the Tournament Director.
- Ensures Tournaments Rules and Best Practices are followed.
- Ensures effective communication relating to the scheduling of tournament staff including Referees and timekeepers.
- Plans, organizes and executes tournaments.
- Responds to and troubleshoots issues outside of regular working hours.
ENERGY & ENVIROMENTAL MANAGEMENT:
- Ensures consideration for best practices in energy use management and environmental impact are employed in all projects.
QUALIFICATIONS / SPECIAL SKILLS:
- Strong, demonstrated knowledge of hockey operations, and the practices associated with operating a tournament.
- Ability to interpret a rule book and administer in a fair manner it’s rules and penalties.
- Proven ability to prioritize effectively & work well with Customers, Co-Workers & Management.
- Ability to standardize and harmonize team / player skill levels to and make the required adjustments with a positive customer service approach.
- Ability and willingness to travel to tournament locations as required.
- Creativity and innovation combined with excellent organizational skills.
- Previous event management experience is also an asset.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
- Diploma or Degree in Business, Recreation, Facility Management or a combination of experience and education.
- 2 years successful experience in a Sports related business in a supervisory level position.
- Strong Computer Skills (Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint etc.).
- Advanced knowledge of marketing and previous sales experience an asset.
- The “Youth” Tournament Manger develops and maintains ongoing strategic relationships with minor hockey associations throughout the year.
|Type of Employment
||Salary - Regular Full Time