||Relief Operator (Operator #3)
Canexus is a chemical manufacturing and handling company serving customers for more than half a century. We pride ourselves on efficient low-cost operations, strategic growth, quality service and a commitment to Responsible Care® through safe, sustainable operating practices. Canexus produces sodium chlorate and chlor-alkali products largely for the pulp and paper and water treatment industries. We also provide fee-for-service hydrocarbon transloading services to the oil and gas industry.
The Canexus plant in Nanaimo, BC is a well-established sodium chlorate production facility. The plant has a production capacity of 24,500 tonnes of sodium chlorate per year. Product is primarily supplied by truck to the adjacent Harmac Pulp Mill and solution product is barged to other pulp mills on the BC coast. The site also functions as a distribution terminal for sodium hydroxide. Canexus Nanaimo is currently seeking:
RELIEF OPERATOR (OPERATOR #3)
The successful candidate will provide day-to-day support of our plant operations, ensuring safe performance, environmental compliance and efficient operation of equipment. Reporting to the Operations Supervisor, you are a team player and support a culture where continuous improvement is a way of doing business.
- Promote and display the Responsible Care ethic, following safe work practices and complying with all Canexus safety standards.
- Operate process equipment in the continuous process manufacturing of sodium chlorate. Strive to meet operational objectives.
- Complete safety and environmental inspections and report deficiencies as needed, including Field Level Hazard Assessments.
- Monitor, troubleshoot and follow-up on process problems and deficiencies. Respond efficiently and effectively to process upsets.
- Optimize plant performance and chemical consumptions.
- Maintain compliance with applicable laws and regulations, Company policies, standards and Responsible Care practices.
- Participate in the HAZOP risk review system.
- Recognize, address and/or report instances of non-conformance. Ensure timely and effective follow-up to non-conformance reports and corrective/preventative action requests.
- Coordinate the safe preparation of operating equipment for maintenance (including selected permit preparations).
- Grade 12 Diploma; Inter Provincial Fourth Class Power Engineering Certificate would be strongly preferred.
- Minimum two years operations related experience in an industrial setting.
- Operations knowledge and experience in a chlorate/chlorine manufacturing facility would be a definite asset.
- Strong computer skills required.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated, goal oriented, collaborative and a team player.
- Able to work independently and without close supervision.
Canexus offers a competitive total compensation package. We wish to thank all candidates for their interest, however only those being considered further will be contacted. www.canexus.ca