Canexus is a chemical manufacturing and handling company serving customers for more than half a century. We pride ourselves on efficient low-cost operations, strategic growth, quality service and a commitment to Responsible Care® through safe, sustainable operating practices. Canexus produces sodium chlorate and chlor-alkali products largely for the pulp and paper and water treatment industries. We also provide fee-for-service hydrocarbon transloading services to the oil and gas industry from our terminal at Bruderheim, Alberta.
||Environment Health & Safety Manager
Our North American Terminal Operations (NATO) in Bruderheim, Alberta, reflects our ability to pursue creative growth opportunities. Recognizing its strategic location, we transformed the site of our former sodium chlorate plant at Bruderheim, Alberta into a storage and transloading facility to efficiently service the vast oil & gas and oil sands sectors in Alberta. We also currently use the site for transloading caustic soda and hydrochloric acid from our North Vancouver facility for use in both the oil & gas and oil sands sectors and the pulp sector in Alberta. Canexus NATO is currently seeking:
ENVIRONMENT HEALTH & SAFETY MANAGER
Responsible for providing leadership and direction to the Terminal Environment, Health, Safety & Security staff and communicate and coordinate with Corporate EH & S/Responsible Care Groups to ensure communication, programs and compliance are consistent across the Corporation. Reporting to the Terminal Manager, you will direct the implementation, maintenance and continuous improvement of an effective Responsible Care® program to protect employees, contractors, and the surrounding community, and to meet Corporate and Regulatory requirements.
- Implement, monitor, audit compliance and update the Terminal’s Responsible Care Code requirements for the business unit and Responsible Care processes.
- Co-chair/Chair Joint Safety, Health and Environment (JSHE) monthly meetings. Assure identified concerns are corrected.
- Participate in Corporate monthly Management Safety, Health and Environment (MSHE) meetings. Assure identified concerns are corrected.
- Provide Updates and participate in the site bi-monthly Management Meetings
- Together with the Terminal Manager, assure that the plant has an effective environmental program that includes inspection, engineering controls where applicable, written procedures and employee training. Assure that at a minimum all regulatory requirements are met including Industrial Hygiene surveys, audits, compliance and training .
- Conduct regular safety meetings with the Responsible Care group to assure that the Safety Program Management tasks, procedures, inspections, reports, etc. are carried out per the program requirements.
- Manage the activities and safety of outside contractors under the Responsible Care Program as well insure compliance through orientation, training, audits and job site inspections
- Manage manpower requirements, employee development and performance for the Health/Safety/Environment/Security department.
- Liaise with and secure assistance from the Corporate Responsible Care group and outside consultants as necessary.
- Prepare, monitor and control annual (AOP) and 5-year (SOP) EH & S departmental operating plans.
- Lead/Participate in site Audits and action closure.
- Understand and fulfill responsibilities outlined in the Quality Management System.
- Support the Site Leadership Team to meet company and plant objectives.
- Continuously display excellent Leadership skills, EH&S area knowledge and work co-operatively and effectively.
- Post-secondary education, preferably a B.Sc. degree.
- CSRP designation strongly preferred.
- 8 years plant experience in EH&S activities coupled with a minimum 5 years supervisory experience.
- Proven leadership skills and demonstrated knowledge in EH&S
- Good leadership and motivational skills.
- Must have strong written and communication skills.
- Must have strong statistical analysis and problem solving capabilities.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Demonstrated high degree of initiative
- Displays a high degree of integrity and trust.
- Incident investigation training (TapRooT® preferred)
- Good computer skills (experience with Lotus Notes and MS Office preferred).
Canexus offers a competitive total compensation package. We wish to thank all candidates for their interest, however only those being considered further will be contacted. www.canexus.ca