Canexus is a chemical manufacturing and handling company serving customers for more than half a century. We pride ourselves on efficient low-cost operations, strategic growth, quality service and a commitment to Responsible Care® through safe, sustainable operating practices. Canexus produces sodium chlorate and chlor-alkali products largely for the pulp and paper and water treatment industries. We also provide fee-for-service hydrocarbon transloading services to the oil and gas industry.
The Canexus plant in North Vancouver, British Columbia is a well-established Chlor-Alkali production facility with over 50 years of successful operating history which in 2009-2010, went into a major technology upgrade that brought this facility to a state of the art operation. Canexus North Vancouver is currently seeking:
As the successful candidate you will be a key member on the Engineering team. You will be responsible for small to mid sized projects in all phases, from initial feasibility studies, to detailed engineering through to construction. Reporting to the Technical Manager, you will take the lead on projects assigned to you, assist team members as required and support the Plant operations. As the ideal candidate, you have experience working in an industrial/plant environment, specifically leading and managing projects and initiatives.
- To provide engineering support/leadership for projects, optimization, troubleshooting and changes required to achieve safety, environmental and production performance goals of the plant at all times.
- Take a leadership role in all phases of small and large projects at the plant level – including development of project scope, cost estimate and approval documentation, detailed engineering design, procurement, construction, installation, commissioning and performance testing.
- Team closely with Plant personnel to ensure that project expectations and requirements are clearly defined and resolved.
- Hire, supervise and coordinate outside consultants, contractors and vendors on contract work and projects. Liaise with Divisional Technical.
- Carry out pre-job safety meetings and job observations on workers (employees/contractors) to ensure a high level of safety and environmental performance.
- Conduct process hazard/risk reviews and undertake responsibilities (as Originator or Technical Representative) in the Management Of Change program. Attend incident investigations as required. Lead/assist with maintenance failure investigation (Root Cause Failure Analysis).
- Develop procedures and standards to assist Production and Maintenance with the stewardship of equipment, materials and techniques for efficient/reliable/cost effective operation. Assist Production and Maintenance in troubleshooting process/equipment in areas of assigned responsibility.
- Develop engineered solutions for day-to-day operating and maintenance problems, long term business needs, and regulatory compliance.
- Identify, initiate, and implement cost improvement opportunities.
- Understand, commit to and fulfill responsibilities under Responsible Care®, the Quality Management System and plant Process Safety and Environmental Management Systems.
- Degree in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering.
- 8-10 years’ related engineering and project experience in a chemical processing environment (Chlor-Alkali production or handling experience is an asset).
- The individual in this role must work co-operatively and effectively with all plant departments and corporate groups to foster a continuous improvement environment.
Canexus offers a competitive total compensation package. We wish to thank all candidates for their interest, however only those being considered further will be contacted. www.canexus.ca