Click Apply Now
if you are interested in this job and we will walk you through our Online Application process.
Click Tell A Friend
if you know of someone else who might be interested and send this opportunity to a friend.
Apply Now Tell a Friend
||The Burlington Fire Department (BFD) Volunteer Firefighting Division is comprised of 2 volunteer divisions. A Division of volunteer firefighters operate from Station 1, located at 1255 Fairview Street; and from Station 5, located at 2241 Kilbride Street, in Burlington.
Station 1 Volunteers operate as a support group and are not typically first responders. Station 5 Volunteers operate as first responders.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer firefighter with the BFD you must determine both your eligibility for becoming a volunteer firefighter and your ability to maintain an active status with regards to availability and residency requirements.
||Being a volunteer firefighter requires a significant commitment of your time to both train and respond to emergency incidents. Your safety and that of your fellow firefighters, and the public, depends on the skills you will learn and more importantly maintain and improve. Volunteer Firefighters are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (including holidays).
||A volunteer firefighter must:
• Have a permanent residence within 6 minutes travel time to Station 5 (2241 Kilbride Street, Burlington) or reside within the City of Burlington with a response time of 20 minutes to Station 1 (1255 Fairview Street, Burlington).
• If an applicant is employed; their work location may also be within a travel time of 6 minutes to Station 5 (2241 Kilbride Street, Burlington) or within 20 minutes to Station 1 (1255 Fairview Street, Burlington) and the individual may, with written permission from their employer, respond to emergencies within the primary response district of the their according volunteer company.
• Emergency response attendance must be achieved and maintained at a minimum of 30% of the total emergency responses dispatched to the station they are assigned within a calendar year.
• Training attendance (every Wed. evening and mandatory training as required) must be achieved and maintained at a minimum of 70% of the training sessions and/or completion of 100% of the mandatory training within a calendar year.
• Be at least 18 years old
• Be legally entitled to work in Canada
• Hold a valid G License with a clean driver's abstract
Preferred qualifications for a volunteer firefighter are:
• Flexible availability
• Previous Fire Fighting Experience
• Pre Fire Service Course(s)
|Posting Closing Date