BCAA has been recognized as one of Canada’s 50 Best Employers for 2012
BCAA's Finance Department is recruiting for a permanent full-time Insurance Accountant, who will accommodate accounting needs of Insurance division. Reporting to the Manager, Insurance Accounting, the Insurance Accountant maintains close working relationship with the Senior Insurance Accountant, Corporate Accounting team and will support the Insurance Division and Product Managers.
This position will provide:
- Basic day to day & month end accounting functions for BCAAIC & BCAA Insurance Agency
- Assist the Manager, Insurance Accounting with general finance functions for the insurance division
- Completion of monthly reconciliations including subsystems
- Insurance banking transactions and reconciliations
- Key contact for BCAA Insurance Agency in respect to Insurance Services
|Key Responsibilities Include
Financial Accounting, Insurance Reporting, Reporting to Regulators, Transactions, Reconciliation & Ad hoc Reporting – 45%
Understanding of insurance accounting principles.
Preparation and posting of month end and year end entries for Insurance Corp. and Insurance Agency Ltd.
Preparation of internal monthly financial statements
Balance sheet and income statement reconciliation
Balance sheet and income statement analysis
Analysis of insurance product revenues and expenses
Create, update month end schedules and prepare related reports and month end journal entries
Completion of and improvements to the AR and POS reconciliation process to ensure they are completed in a timely manner
Audit – Assist in preparation of Year End working papers and lead sheets
Actuary – Assist the Senior Insurance Accountant as required with the preparation and reconciliation of the required working papers to facilitate the actuary’s review of the results for the fiscal year end
Reinsurance – Understanding of annual insurance treaty to assist the Senior Insurance Accountant as necessary and required with the preparation and reconciliation of quarterly and annual insurance results and related working papers and schedules for our insurance broker and reinsurers which include the quarterly quota share reporting, annual portfolio transfer, annual Excess of Loss Premium adjustment schedules, annual commission adjustment schedules, deposits from unlicensed reinsurers, and any additional reinsurance reporting and schedules, as required and necessary.
External regulators - Assist the Senior Insurance Accountant as necessary with the preparation and reconciliation of working papers required for the quarterly and annual P&C-1 insurance reporting to our external regulators (FICOM and/or OSFI).
Assist the Senior Insurance Accountant as required with the preparation of income tax and/or premium tax schedules to the federal and provincial tax agencies.
Insurance System (NEAT) reconciliations & controls – 25%
Reconcile NEAT & other BCAA underwritten insurance products systems with the GL for revenue transactions and related AR adjustments
Reconcile and prepare third party insurance product remittances (i.e. Manulife)
Assist various testing for NEAT reports as required
Prepare various reconciliations for Insurance Agency Accounting
Monthly TAI reconciliations and reporting including quarterly submission of claims recovery to AON
Follow up on any outstanding problems found at reconciliation to ensure resolution
Make recommendations for resolutions of reconciliation items
Recommend and implement enhancements to NEAT as necessary
Special Projects and Miscellaneous Duties – 20%
Create and update an Insurance Accounting Manual for month end reporting
Create an Insurance Accounting manual documenting reporting processes
Misc projects as assigned, such as changing accounting department code, completing a reconciliation of Insurance computers for the Evergreen project
Knowledge & Support to Insurance Division & Other Customers – 10%
Continually assess whether support provided is meeting customer needs and identify means of filling any gaps that might exist
Cease services and support that is no longer needed or valued in order to focus on value added activities
Ensure that customer group is aware of services available and that resources are being matched and used effectively
Hold regular meeting with internal customers in order to get a first hard understanding of how their needs can be better served
Identify opportunities to participate in or lead cross divisional initiatives or presentations in order to promote divisional capabilities and services
Foster the notion of “internal customer” and ensure a full appreciation for the nature of the support services provided
- Completion of a college diploma in accounting, finance or a related field and/or working towards completion of a recognized professional Accounting designation.
- Minimum 2 years related work experience in an intermediate accounting level.
- Accounts reconciliation experience.
- Hands on experience with system reconciliations in a high transactional volume environment.
- Experience in computerized accounting environment (knowledge of GL module and it’s key functions).
- Strong analytical & problem solving skills.
- Strong organization & time management skills with an ability to prioritize, multi task & meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal & communications skills; verbal & written, in order to deal with customers (internal & external) at all levels.
- Must successfully pass a background check, which may include a criminal, credit, and credential check
- Prior exposure to a large multi divisional/departmental corporate accounting structure.
- Prior experience and/or understanding of Insurance Accounting.
||Regular Full Time (RFT)
||Head Office (Burnaby)
||British Columbia [BC]
|Compensation & Benefits Overview
At BCAA, we offer competitive compensation packages and excellent career advancement opportunities. To find out more, ask the hiring managers during your interview.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS JOB POSTING WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL THE POSITOIN IS FILLED.
BEFORE APPLYING FOR A POSTION, CLICK ON THE VIEW JOBS SECTION TO ENSURE THIS POSTING IS ACTIVE.
Did you know: "The Canadian Public Relations Society, at its annual conference held this year in Saint John, has just announced its national awards of excellence – and BCAA is among the recipients! BCAA won top marks and a Silver Award of Excellence in the Advocacy and Social Marketing category for the 2010 Dry Grad Video Challenge."