BCAA has been recognized as one of Canada’s 50 Best Employers for 2012
BCAA's Corporate Communications department has an opening for a temporary full-time (maternity coverage for 13 months) Communications Specialist. As a member of the Communications & Community team, the Communications Specialist works in partnership with the intranet business analyst and stakeholders to ensure OnRamp supports communication and business priorities. Primarily an internal communications role, the Communications Specialist also develops strategies and plans that help increase employees’ understanding of BCAA’s business goals and direction and how employees contribute to BCAA’s success. Support for external communications activities is provided as needed.
|Key Responsibilities Include
Plan and prioritize OnRamp projects and development to align with corporate priorities and achieve business goals.
- In partnership with the intranet business analyst, coordinate and facilitate OnRamp Steering Committee, Development Team and Publishers’ Council meetings.
- Assist the overall decision-making process, and provide input on all requests for additions or revisions to OnRamp and the site structure, ensuring user needs, corporate priorities and best practices are considered and applied as appropriate.
- Provide advice to business areas to help them communicate more effectively with employees through OnRamp.
- Conduct regular quantitative (e.g. surveys, benchmarking exercises, analytics reports) and qualitative (e.g. field observations) measurement to assess and monitor the progress of employee use and satisfaction.
- Manage, assess and make recommendations based on site traffic analysis using WebTrends analytics.
OnRamp training, communication and content management to ensure a consistent user experience.
- Develop and deliver training for new OnRamp publishers covering OpenText CMS instructions, web content preparation (writing and publishing best practices), graphic standards and style guide.
- Update publishers’ manual when required.
- Create specific instruction manuals and organize publisher training to support the roll-out of changes or improvements to the intranet site or CMS.
- Monitor and ensure adherence to information architecture and graphic standards.
- Facilitate discussions between departments to ensure a consistent approach is taken to delivering similar content across business areas and audience groups.
- Troubleshoot and respond to inquiries or questions from publishers (basic technical questions and communications-related).
- Create content for and publish content to OnRamp pages owned by Communications & Community (e.g. intranet home page) and assist with publishing support for other teams or departments when requested.
Develop and execute communication plans to help BCAA achieve its business goals and priorities.
- Develop and execute communication plans in support of specific business unit initiatives, with the goal of keeping employees informed, inspiring desired action and assisting with change management.
- Assist with communicating BCAA’s annual Corporate Plan and 5-Year Strategic Plan and any other supporting materials that may be produced to support communications of the Corporate/Strategic Plan.
- Support business units by providing communications support for emerging employee- and change management-related issues.
- Develop and execute communication plans to support corporate initiatives in response to Engagement Survey results.
- Provide writing, coordination and other support as needed for corporate events designed to enhance employee engagement.
- Contribute stories and other content to BCAA’s internal online newsletter, Gearing Up.
- Assist with executing the CEO communications calendar and items within including writing for and publishing the internal CEO blog.
- Lead or assist with the creation of PowerPoint presentations and videos for various events or initiatives.
Assist with BCAA’s external corporate communications and Member advocacy initiatives.
- Provide writing, coordination or other support as needed for BCAA’s Annual Report to Members and the Annual General Meeting.
- Write or assist with writing the President’s Message for Westworld and contribute entries to the ‘Your BCAA’ section of Westworld when necessary.
- Create content for and publish updated materials to the ‘About BCAA’ section on BCAA.com and all pages within.
- Actively participate in the Dry Grad Video Challenge team by creating updated web content, overseeing the entry and screening process and assisting with judging, amongst other duties.
- Other duties as assigned
A university degree, preferably in communications or a related field, supplemented by additional studies in web management, employee communications and writing/ editing and/or corporate communications.
Five years of applicable organizational communications and web-related experience, preferably in employee communications and intranet management in large, complex organizations.
Experience recommending, developing and executing strategic communications plans (short- and long-term) to fit within larger strategic plans and to accomplish specific goals that may impact an organization’s entire employee population.
Experience measuring and evaluating the effectiveness of web-related strategies and communication plans and strategies.
A solid understanding of the principles and practices of employee-focused communications and how to leverage web technology as a communication/business tool.
Excellent communications consulting skills and experience developing collaborative working relationships with senior management, their direct reports, other departments and cross-functional teams.
Superior project management skills. Ability to lead projects with limited supervision, meet deadlines and manage multiple priorities a must.
Advanced writing and editing skills for an electronic environment, and the ability to adapt tone and style to various audiences and media, including print, electronic and intranet sites.
Computer skills, including advanced word processing and knowledge of a web Content Management System (CMS) (OpenText preferable) and basic HTML.
Ability to travel within the Lower Mainland and overnight travel within B.C. may be required from time to time.
Experience in a large, complex organization with a fast-paced, changing business environment an asset.
Current membership in the International Association of Business Communicators (IABC) or Canadian Public Relations Society (CPRS) would be an asset.
Basic web design skills.
||Temp Full Time (TFT)
||Head Office (Burnaby)
|Compensation & Benefits Overview
At BCAA, we offer competitive compensation packages and excellent career advancement opportunities. To find out more, ask the hiring managers during your interview.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS JOB POSTING WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL THE POSITOIN IS FILLED.
BEFORE APPLYING FOR A POSTION, CLICK ON THE VIEW JOBS SECTION TO ENSURE THIS POSTING IS ACTIVE.
Did You Know: BCAA Member or not, cyclists can call BCAA Road Assist for help. BCAA’s roadside assistance available to all B.C. cyclists for 2012 Bike To Work Week and Bike Month!