||Aecon Group Inc. is Canada’s largest, publicly traded construction and infrastructure development company. Aecon and its subsidiaries provide services to private and public sector clients throughout Canada and on a selected basis internationally. Aecon is pleased to be recognized as one of the Best Employers in Canada.
|Business Unit Overview
||Aecon Mining is one of Canada’s largest mining and land reclamation contractors in the oilsands today, a position that complements our already well-established role as a leading heavy industrial contractor in the region. The division is uniquely positioned to offer clients a broad range of services, from environmental reclamation and overburden removal to civil, mechanical, and general contracting services.
||National Construction Safety Officer (NCSO)
||Under the general supervision of the EHS Director, the EHS Advisor actively promotes a healthy and safe culture to all levels of employees within the organization using the policies and procedures of Aecon’s Environmental Health and Safety manual.
||Aecon is currently searching for experienced Safety Advisors for future opportunities within the Fort McMurray region. Suitable candidates must have experience within the Mining Industry and experience working in and around heavy equipment.
This is a permanent opportunity in our Mining division that will require a schedule rotation including both day and night shifts. Aecon is developing a sustainable workforce in the Fort McMurray region; therefore this employment opportunity will not include accommodation or travel/living allowances.
• Conduct Employee health and safety orientation and site specific safety orientation to workers, owners and clients
• Train supervisors and staff on Aecons Health, Safety and Environmental Manual
• Train employees on fall protection, confined space entry, traffic protection, traffic control person, WHMIS, respiratory protection, emergency response
• Coordinate training such as, First Aid, Fork lift, etc.
• Conduct workplace inspections and audits
• Conduct behavioural observation in the workplace
• Update Material Safety Data Sheets as required
• Develop workplace plans such as emergency evacuations, fire emergency, traffic controls, fall protection
• Distribute safety material, supplies and equipment to employees
• Create and present safety safety presentations to clients
• Participate as a management member of Joint Health and Safety Committees
• Assist in Quality Assurance information gathering or other shop/office interface responsibilities
• Conduct studies and analyze accident trends
• Inspect project facilities and recommends corrective actions
• Work with the Claims Administrator to assist with workers compensation claims and associated activities
• Develop return to work and modified work programs
• Conduct Accident/Incident investigations
• Mediate health and safety issues for resolution
• Prepare and assist with external safety audits
• Coordinate and respond to environmental issues
• Gather and provide statistical information to estimating for tender packages
• Coordinate site safety statistics and forward to EHS Administrator
• Other duties as assigned
|Required Knowledge & Skills
||• NCSO certification required
• Completion and current status of the Auditors Course with ACSA is considered an asset.
• OSSA & CSTS Certifications required
• 5+ years of experience in Health and Safety
• 3-5 years in the Oilsands industry
• Familiar with construction terminology
• Working knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Legislation
• Experienced working with the Workers Compensation Board (WCB) or equivalent agencies
• Ability to work on any Oil sand sites in the Wood Buffalo Region
• Excellent communication skills
• Ability to work with limited supervision and to be proactive
• Ability to work in a team environment
• Good presentation skills
• Class 5 drivers licence with a clean drivers abstract
|Date Req Created
|Compensation & Benefits Overview
||Aecon offers the opportunity to work on challenging, high profile projects and provides competitive compensation and benefits.
||Aecon is an equal opportunity employer.