Apply Now Tell a Friend
||Aecon Group Inc. is Canada’s largest, publicly traded construction and infrastructure development company. Aecon and its subsidiaries provide services to private and public sector clients throughout Canada and on a selected basis internationally. Aecon is pleased to be recognized as one of the Best Employers in Canada.
||Aecon Infrastructure brings together state-of-the-art technology, the most recent advances in process, and an experienced team dedicated to the work we perform, ranging from road building to institutional and commercial construction. Built on innovation, we constantly challenge ourselves to meet the demands of existing markets, and anticipate how to serve emerging ones.
||Equipment Operator - Excavator (03-800)
||Aecon is currently working with Somerville, on the Inter Pipeline Fund project, work related to the Cold Lake and Polaris pipelines in Alberta. The joint venture includes the installation of 560 kilometers of underground pipeline, construction of pumping stations, metering facilities, junction sites and associated pipeline connections at multiple sites.
Somerville-Aecon, a Joint Venture is currently looking to hire a number of Excavator Operators to assist with the project. Under general supervision, the Excavator Operator will be responsible for all types of excavating throughout mainline pipeline side of the IPF project. Work involves operating excavator equipment; digging, trenching and scooping raw materials as directed. Excavator Operators will also ensure said raw materials are loaded in hauler equipment as required. Equipment may include but not limited to Caterpillar, Hitachi and/or Kamatsu series of excavators.
- Conduct pre-trip/walk-around safety inspection
- Ability to operate all equipment functions independently and safely
- Efficiently and safely dig, trench and/or scoop raw materials to and from specific areas and/or load upon haulers as directed
- Coordinate machine actions with other activities, positioning or moving of loads and conduct in response to hand or audio signals from team members
- Start engines, move throttles, switches, or levers, or depress pedals to operate equipment
- Interpret stakes and signage on the land
- Ability to operate all functions of the equipment safely
- Ability to work in outdoor weather conditions included but not limited to extreme temperatures (heat and cold), rain, sleet, snow, wind, and/or wet/humid conditions
- Work under stress and with commitment to timelines and deadlines on a daily basis
- Keep abreast of changes to industry standards and Somerville - Aecon policies
- Adhering to Somerville- Aecon specific policies and regulations
- Adhering to site specific rules and regulations
- Keep abreast of changes to industry standards
- Ensuring communication between members of the team
- Protect and promote the interest of this company in all matters and to take actions as required to satisfy such responsibilities
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Maintain excellent communication (including the ability to use radio as required)
- Working as a member of the team by assisting other members when required
|Required Knowledge & Skills
- Valid Class 5 license
- Physically fit
- 1-3 years industry experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills (spoken and written communication)
- Complete Aecon specific training in a reasonable amount of time
- Complete client’s site specific training as required
- High school graduate is an asset
- Ability to be dispatched through the local union as per the collective agreement
There are occasions when the individual may come into contact with dust due to the site’s conditions and with fluids from the vehicles such as windshield washer, coolant and oil. Vehicle inspection regardless of weather conditions is required daily. Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) is required at all times. There are some physically demanding aspects of the job such as climbing the equipment.
|Contract Start Date
|Compensation & Benefits Overview
Company: Somerville-Aecon, a Joint Venture
Project: Inter Pipeline Fund
Position(s): Equipment Operator – Excavator
Position Type: Full-time, Project based
Number(s) Available: 20-30
Wage: $40.00/hr - $42.00/hr
Location: Northern Alberta – Cold Lake Area
Start Date: May 15, 2013
Aecon offers the opportunity to work on challenging, high profile projects and provides competitive compensation and benefits.
||Aecon is an equal opportunity employer.