Apply Now Tell a Friend
||Aecon Group Inc. is Canada’s largest, publicly traded construction and infrastructure development company. Aecon and its subsidiaries provide services to private and public sector clients throughout Canada and on a selected basis internationally. Aecon is pleased to be recognized as one of the Best Employers in Canada.
|Business Unit Overview
||Aecon Mining is one of Canada’s largest mining and land reclamation contractors in the oilsands today, a position that complements our already well-established role as a leading heavy industrial contractor in the region. The division is uniquely positioned to offer clients a broad range of services, from environmental reclamation and overburden removal to civil, mechanical, and general contracting services.
||Reporting to the Chief Estimator, the Estimator is primarily responsible for accurately estimating new and current construction projects in a timely manner and is expected to utilize traditional and innovative methods in preparing estimates. The Estimator is responsible for taking ownership and delivering the estimate of one or more bid tenders at a time. Project size may vary from $2 million to Mega Projects.
- Prepares and coordinates the preparation of full cost estimates on conceptual, design-build, or general tender for a variety of large projects
- In preparation of full cost estimates, the Estimator will interpret documentation, specifications and design drawings to define scope/contents of the estimates.
- One of the primary responsibilities of the estimator is to review/analyze bid packages from subcontractors
- Accountable for reviewing design options and adopting/creating best practices based on cost, engineering quality, availability of materials or other agreed upon factors.
- Assists with negotiations, contract clarifications, consultants, clients, venders and subcontractors
- Estimating must occur with full consideration for the crucial safety of the project.
- In preparation for close out estimate, the Estimator is accountable for analyzing each section for scope, pricing and clarifications
- Responsible for maintaining large working files as supporting documentation for estimating figures including current, accurate information on prices from venders through exclusive contact, marketing material, pre-existing price lists, etc.
- One of the indirect responsibilities is to actively mentor junior estimators and support staff on an ongoing basis
- Accountable for effectively representing the company in relations with business units, joint ventures, regulatory agencies, site personnel and new construction markets.
- Ensure knowledge in the field remains current through participation in appropriate training and development activities
- Prepare cost of projects
- Continuous consideration of cost first principle
|Required Knowledge & Skills
- A bachelor's degree or a technical diploma in civil or mining engineering
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in the construction industry
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressive estimating experience in civil or mining discipline
- Strong communication skills – oral and written
- Proven ability to work under pressure, prioritize tasks and meet deadlines for normal functions and special assignments
- Attention to detail, mathematical, analytical skills and accuracy
- Proficiency using MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access)
- Experience with estimating and scheduling software such as Hard Dollar and Primavera P6
- Service orientated with the ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to build positive working relationships with internal and external clients
|Date Req Created
|Compensation & Benefits Overview
||Aecon offers the opportunity to work on challenging, high profile projects and provides competitive compensation and benefits.
||Aecon is an equal opportunity employer.