Apply Now Tell a Friend
Aecon Group Inc. is Canada’s largest, publicly traded construction and infrastructure development company. Aecon and its subsidiaries provide services to private and public sector clients throughout Canada and on a selected basis internationally. Aecon is pleased to be recognized as one of the Best Employers in Canada.
||Aecon Infrastructure brings together state-of-the-art technology, the most recent advances in process, and an experienced team dedicated to the work we perform, ranging from road building to institutional and commercial construction. Built on innovation, we constantly challenge ourselves to meet the demands of existing markets, and anticipate how to serve emerging ones.
||Project Controls Manager (03-800)
Under the general supervision of the Vice President, Project Controls, the Manager, Project Controls is to lead the cost management and control for all major projects for the business unit. This includes the detailed review of the costs in all major projects and to report to the Senior Vice President Executive, on any deviations from target on these major projects. This mandate will also include all financial reporting, forecasting, and cash management support for the Alberta Operations team.
Our job sites are located throughout Northen Alberta, focusing on Pipeline Facilities work through our Joint Venture with Robert B. Somerville.
- Work closely with the Operations team to ensure cost control on major projects utilizing the CGC Costing System
- Key partner of the Executive and Senior Management Team of the Alberta Senior Management team
- Lead the weekly cost review meetings on all key job
- Perform comprehensive monthly analyses on variances between actual and plan/forecast/target results with emphasis on the civil construction business
- Provide management with timely reviews of the business’ financial status and progress in its various programs and activities
- Responsible for the collection and consolidation of financial information from Joint Venture partners as it relates to the preparation of the financial records as well as where the company received this information from another Joint venture partner
- Work closely with finance personnel at each operating entity to develop methodologies/approaches that will enhance the accuracy of income statement, balance sheet and cash flow forecasting
- Effectively manage the project engineering team across finance, accounting, treasury and taxation responsibilities as well as overseeing preparation, review and analysis of other financial reports for the Operations and the Corporate groups within the Aecon Infrastructure division
- Liaise with Corporate specialists (Corporate accounting, Corporate treasury, Risk Management, Legal).
- Assure compliance to statutory requirements
- Assists in bid process
|Required Knowledge & Skills
- An undergraduate degree in Business, Civil Engineering or Quantity Surveying
- 10 - 15 years Construction Industry experience in Project Control activities including financial reporting, budgeting, forecasting, and financial analysis
- Knowledge of GAAP (ideally as it applies to construction contractors) and general familiarity with Canadian tax legislation
- Adept at building and implementing controls and reporting systems and providing financial reports for decision making purposes
- Superior financial analytical skills; demonstrated experience in a position requiring extensive analysis.
- Proven strong analytical skills in reviewing accounts and accounting problems
- Effective written and verbal communication skills; able to clearly identify and articulate issues to senior Financial and Operations management; able to develop clearly understood policies and procedures
- Experience in a multi-division/multi-entity organization is an asset, ideally from construction, real estate development, commercial banking, public accounting, or other professional services
- Exposure to the following are assets: percent completion accounting; standard cost accounting; costing system experience; consolidation; insurance/risk management; audit; and interdivisional transfer pricing
- Confident, personable, professional presence; able to deal with all levels of the organization
- Enthusiastic, self motivated, eager to learn and takes initiative to get involved
- A problem solver with sound judgment who accepts ownership and accountability
- Natural leader and team builder who inspires confidence and credibility
- Team player who deals tactfully with customers, suppliers and staff
- Willing to travel to the various job/site locations in Western Canada
|Compensation & Benefits Overview
|Company: Somerville-Aecon, a Joint Venture
Project: Inter Pipeline Fund
Position(s): Project Controls Manager
Position Type: Full-time, Permanent
Number of Positions: 1
Salary: $110,000-$130,000 per annum
Location: Project Based
Start Date: August 1, 2013
Aecon offers the opportunity to work on challenging, high profile projects and provides competitive compensation and benefits.
||Aecon is an equal opportunity employer.