||Aecon Construction Group Inc. is Canada’s largest, publicly traded construction and infrastructure development company. Aecon and its subsidiaries provide services to private and public sector clients throughout Canada and on a selected basis internationally. Aecon is pleased to be recognized as one of the Best Employers in Canada.
||Aecon Infrastructure brings together state-of-the-art technology, the most recent advances in process, and an experienced team dedicated to the work we perform, ranging from road building to institutional and commercial construction. Built on innovation, we constantly challenge ourselves to meet the demands of existing markets, and anticipate how to serve emerging ones. For more information please visit our website (www.aecon.com).
|Business Unit Overview
||Aecon Construction and Materials Limited builds complex highway infrastructure, airfields projects, residential and commercial developments, landfills, bridges and other major types of infrastructure projects. We pride ourselves in meeting production schedules, exceeding quality standards, working safely and maximizing value for our clients. Based in Ontario, our civil construction team supports major project efforts across Canada. Some of our core services include: • Bridge construction • Major excavation work • Tunnel construction • Highway pavement construction • Sewer & water main construction • Marine projects • Environmental remediation projects • Winter road maintenance • Concrete slip-forming Work is accomplished through design-build contracts, joint ventures and value engineering. We have a history of successfully completing large complex projects in the development of major Canadian Infrastructure.
||Jr. Estimator (12 Month PEY) (10800)
||The Student Estimator/Coordinator provides administrative and engineering services on a variety of projects related to the construction or repair of heavy civil construction projects including those involving roads, highways, bridges, airports, sewers and water mains.
This position is a 12 month PEY opportunity that would be of interest to persons who foresee a future career in heavy civil construction, are hands-on, innovative in their thinking and their work, and who have a desire to see projects through from tender to the final construction stage. We offer training in many areas of work expertise, by qualified Engineers, and offer relevant exposure to the civil engineering field from a Contractors’ perspective. A portion of each candidate’s term will be spent on a construction site to develop construction knowledge and provide assistance to the Project Engineer.
- Read, interpret and understand contract drawings and specifications, and maintains conformance with same during work processes
- Provide technical assistance to Estimators including analysis of tender drawings and preparation of quantity takeoffs from first principles for work Aecon self performs
- Incorporate addendums to plans and specifications into ongoing estimates
- Solicitation of sub-trade pricing for tenders both in person and on the phone
- Analyze sub-trade quotes
- Assist in the initial planning and scheduling of construction projects through preparation of Primavera/Suretrak critical path schedules including major work items
- Interpret and understand Ontario Provincial Standard Specifications (OPSS) and all relevant Special Provisions for each tendered project
- Provide technical assistance to Engineers and use engineering principles to complete technical designs in conformance with OPSS and CSA requirements and AutoCad drafting of: road/track protection schemes, sheetpile cofferdams, temporary supporting structures, formwork and falsework, and other applications as required
- Such other duties and responsibilities as assigned by his/her supervisor
- Update critical path schedules for projects under construction
- May prepare construction cost budgets from awarded tenders via electronic means
- May assist in the preparation of project estimates using estimating software
- May communicate with supervisors and management at site
- Construction site visits for ongoing projects monthly
- Required to work primarily in the estimating office, with site visits and attendance at pre-tender meetings as required
- Some time is expected to be resident on a construction project site assisting full-time field staff and job-shadowing Field Coordinators/Field Engineers
|Required Knowledge & Skills
- Currently enrolled in the Civil Engineering program at a recognized university
- Excellent English reading and writing skills
- Plans reading experience is required
- Previous experience in the construction industry is preferred but not required
- Strong computer skills using MS Office and scheduling software
- Valid Driver’s License
|Date Req Created
|Contract Start Date
|Contract End Date
|Compensation & Benefits Overview
||Aecon offers the opportunity to work on challenging, high profile projects and provides competitive compensation and benefits.
||Aecon is an equal opportunity employer.