To apply for a job, please click on the Apply Now!
If you do not see a job that is suitable for you, feel free to make a general resume submission by clicking on the Submit Resume
button at the top.
Apply Now! Tell A Friend
Diversity, equity and inclusion are fundamental to our mission to educate students. We are committed to education that places strong emphasis on global citizenship, social justice and equity. We live this value through the strength and richness that diversity brings to our workforce and welcome contributors from equity groups including: Aboriginal Peoples, Visible Minorities, Persons with Disabilities, Lesbian Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer persons.
Reporting to the Manager, Student Development, Transitions and Service Learning, and taking day-to-day direction from the Disabilities Counsellors, the Disabilities Assistant/Technician provides office administrative functions critical to the smooth operations of the Centre for Students with Disabilities and advocates college wide for the needs of students with disabilities.
- Provides assistance by arranging necessary accommodations for students with a wide range of disabilities; able to effectively advocate college-wide for the needs of students with disabilities; communicate with all faculty and other staff regarding the needs of students with disabilities.
- Provides testing accommodations for students with a wide range of disabilities; schedules appointments for students to take tests in the CSD; prepares tests in alternative format as necessary (enlarging, scanning, etc.)
- Proctors all tests that take place in the CSD, ensuring adherence to all college policies and procedures including administering Accuplacer assessments (English and Math) to new students
- Provides access and trains students on a wide range of assistive devices and specialized equipment; coordinates and manages student usage of Adaptive Technology Lab; provides troubleshooting support, technical advice, guidance and instruction of equipment and software to students with disabilities and other staff.
- Arranges for special assistance (paid or volunteer); recruits notetakers, attendants, sign language interpreters and proctors, organizing schedules and other details.
- Lends and maintains CSD equipment such as laptops, digital recorders, FM Systems etc.
- Establishes and maintains files and records within the CSD; compiling data and statistics required for departmental records, research and evaluation of CSD services
- Manages student database; produces correspondence, reports, material for CDS workshops etc., both externally and internally; works with the Coordinator and Counsellors in developing projects and proposals for the CSD. Responsible for maintaining information base and relevant resource materials related to disabilities
- Participates in orientation and service fairs
- Other duties as assigned
- Successful completion of a post-secondary certificate program specializing in services for people/students with disabilities and/or technical expertise related to disabilities, such as Education Assistant or combined related education and experience.
- Minimum 3 years of progressively responsible office administration experience with experience working with and/or accommodating persons with disabilities. Must have familiarity with office routines and office applications (i.e. MS Office Suites)
- Proven high level of maturity and judgment to deal sensitively and effectively with diverse constituents; showing courtesy, tact, diplomacy, and maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated well developed customer service and communication skills (written and verbal), as well as effective listening skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks with concurrent/conflicting deadlines within given objectives, work plans and deadlines
- A proven ability to work independently or with a team, and to function in a high-pressure environment
- Knowledge and understanding of issues related to disabilities and of multi-cultural/multi-racial issues
||Permanent - Support
|Hours of Work
||Apply online by clicking the "Apply Now!" button
"Proof of credentials or equivalencies from accredited regional or federal post secondary institutions and/or their foreign equivalents will be required at the time of job offer."
When applying, your cover letter and résumé must include examples that reflect all of the requested skills and qualifications and should be submitted electronically by November 7, 2013 at 4:30 p.m. Please quote Competition # 13-S- 65 Misrepresentation of applicant information will be grounds for your exclusion from the competition or for dismissal should you subsequently be hired for the position. We regret we cannot accept phone calls. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are committed to providing persons with disabilities equal opportunities regarding all employment activities, including access to jobs and accommodations during employment as required, in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC)
||$25.41 to $29.46 per hour (Payband F)