To apply for a job, please click on the Apply Now!
If you do not see a job that is suitable for you, feel free to make a general resume submission by clicking on the Submit Resume
button at the top.
Apply Now! Tell A Friend
Diversity, equity and inclusion are fundamental to our mission to educate students. We are committed to education that places strong emphasis on global citizenship, social justice and equity. We live this value through the strength and richness that diversity brings to our workforce and welcome contributors from equity groups including: Aboriginal Peoples, Visible Minorities, Persons with Disabilities, Lesbian Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer persons.
||Student Employment Advisor
Career Services and Co-operative Education
(This position is initially open to full time, bargaining unit employees of the college)
The Student Employment Advisor is responsible for developing, delivering and marketing a full-range of job search resources and services to students and graduates. By establishing links between employers, students, professional bodies and other community services through career fairs, open houses, information sessions and individual consultation, the Student Employment Advisor’s mandate is to contribute to the successful employment of students in their chosen fields. In addition, a good portion of the Student Employment Advisor role will be advising and coaching students and graduates around job search strategies and facilitating workshops. Travel to other campuses will be required.
- Advising students individually and through workshop instruction to ease the transition from college to the workplace
- Delivering Employment Pre-placement courses to Co-op students
- Monitoring student progress ensuring students are meeting course requirements and following up with students as required
- Submitting grades on the Banner for the Employment Pre-placement course in accordance with academic deadlines
- Advising students on effective resumes, cover letters, mock interviews and job search strategies
- Acting as a resource person for individuals seeking to develop employability skills for full-time, part-time, summer and co-op employment
- Assessing the individual’s situation, goals and employment objectives and developing a specialized action plan
- Working with students of all levels, that is, students with an advanced understanding of their skills and abilities, and those with no experience or knowledge of employment skills
- Developing and delivering job search workshops for all program areas of the College on effective resume and cover letter writing, interview skills, job search strategies, maximizing Career Fairs/Job Fairs, effective networking and workplace etiquette
- Providing appropriate materials to workshop participants to ensure readiness for the employment market
- Researching the program outcomes and objectives as outlined in the program data packs to ensure the accuracy of technical/clinical skills that are incorporated in job search materials
- Performing other duties as assigned
- 3 year degree and/or diploma in Business or Communications Studies (Marketing, Communications, Human Resources) or Social Sciences, OR an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of experience in a student employment services environment.
- Demonstrated experience developing, planning and organizing marketing and promotion strategies, and developing alliances with other organizations.
- Knowledge of the Canadian Labour Market, Centennial College programs, employment trends and marketing techniques
- Proficiency in PC software, i.e.: Word, Excel and Access (or their equivalents), email and internet applications.
- Knowledge of up-to-date job search techniques, including the use of social media tools, and the requirements for employment success.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentations skills.
- Previous facilitation experience including an understanding of adult learning principles an asset
- Demonstrated experience with one-on-one student advising on job search techniques.
- Experience, knowledge and understanding of working effectively in a diverse environment.
||Permanent - Support
|Hours of Work
|Additional Information as Applicable
||Current Shift Schedule: Monday to Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
Apply online by clicking the "Apply Now! button
"Proof of credentials or equivalencies from accredited regional or federal post secondary institutions and/or their foreign equivalents will be required at the time of job offer."
When applying, your cover letter and résumé must include examples that reflect all of the requested skills and qualifications and must be submitted online by February 6, 2013 at 4:30 PM. Please quote Competition #13-S-04 Misrepresentation of applicant information will be grounds for your exclusion from the competition or for dismissal should you subsequently be hired for the position. We regret we cannot accept phone calls. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
||$31.56 to $36.58 per hour (Payband I)