To apply for a job, please click on the Apply Now!
If you do not see a job that is suitable for you, feel free to make a general resume submission by clicking on the Submit Resume
button at the top.
Apply Now! Tell A Friend
||Diversity, equity and inclusion are fundamental to our mission to educate students. We are committed to education that places strong emphasis on global citizenship, social justice and equity. We live this value through the strength and richness that diversity brings to our workforce and welcome contributors from equity groups including: Aboriginal Peoples, Visible Minorities, Persons with Disabilities, Lesbian Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer persons
||Chair, Emergency Management & Public Safety
||Morningside and Progress Campus
School of Community and Health Studies
This position, reporting to the Dean of the School of Community and Health Studies, is accountable for providing academic and administrative leadership, supervision and direction to faculty, managers, support staff and/or students in the School. The Chair provides leadership in the development and delivery of a related cluster of courses and programs (certificate, diploma, advanced diploma, joint programs and/or bachelor’s degree) in both full-time and/or part-time delivery formats offered by the new Emergency Management and Public Safety department of the School. The full-time and /or part time program cluster can include programs such as: Emergency Management, Pre-Service Fire-fighter, and Paramedicine. The Chair will also lead the Emergency Management and Public Safety Institute (EMPSI) - http://www.centennialcollege.ca/empsi
. EMPSI’s vision is to inspire leadership through strategic integrated networks of learning. EMPSI develops capacity in emergency management and public safety through collaborative, multidisciplinary approaches among faculty, students, researchers, external partners, community and clients. The Chair will drive integrated multidisciplinary program and project development that is linked to employer needs and the community as well as ensure collaboration, partnership, organizational effectiveness and communication for EMPSI within and outside Centennial College. The Chair will develop and sustain partnerships (local, provincial, national and international) and establish a leadership position for the Institute with a focus on innovation, research and interprofessional learning. The Chair will seek out research/grant opportunities and respond to RFPs from various sources such as CONII, FedDev, OCE, and NSERC, to build an Institute that provides leadership in community and organizational resilience.
- Working collaboratively in the development and implementation of the department’s business plan as part of the School and College’s academic and strategic planning process
- Responsible for building the Emergency Management and Public Safety Institute (EMPSI)
- Responsible for implementation of the current and development and implementation of future EMPSI Strategic Plans
- Maintaining a high level of staff performance through effective recruiting, selection, development, motivation, evaluation and training of faculty, and support staff
- Promoting, supporting and monitoring the ongoing professional development, scholarship and research activity of faculty and staff
- Directing and administering the activities of the faculty in their teaching assignments and creating an effective working environment for the staff and the teaching/learning process; ensuring that faculty and staff assignments are consistent with college policies and procedures, collective agreements in place and other agreements relating to partnerships
- Conducting first level investigations and initiating problem-solving processes for disputes involving faculty, staff and students within the department, respecting collective agreements, student rights documents etc. to assist in the dispute resolution process
- Taking responsibility for developing and managing the operating budgets for the EMPSI institute and department programs in collaboration with the School’s administrative team
- Identifying new program opportunities, directing and participating in the College’s program and curriculum reviews, coordinate development process and external program approval and/or accreditation processes for programs in this portfolio
- Working respectfully in an unionized environment
- Establishing positive, ongoing relationships with appropriate industry and business representatives, local, provincial, national and international institutions, advisory committee members, professional associations and alumni
- Participating in program marketing efforts in co-ordination with the School’s and College’s marketing departments
- Promoting and participating in the planning, negotiating and implementing of partnership arrangements relating to the departmental initiatives
- Ensuring the effective use of human, physical and financial resources for the programs/department, reallocating resources appropriately and as necessary based on the School and College priorities
- Master’s Degree in an area related to Emergency Management and/or Public Safety or equivalent related job experience in a post-secondary institution or in the industry sector.
- Extensive relevant experience in a College or University level academic or management environment
- Minimum of 7 years industry related experience
- Proven ability to provide effective and positive academic and administrative leadership
- Demonstrated success in creating a vision and managing change within complex systems
- Demonstrated competencies in effective teaching skills, curriculum development, interprofessional education/collaboration and in the area of simulation
- Advanced problem solving and analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability in and usage of a wide variety of social media
- Demonstrated skills in managing equity issues and working with diverse populations
- Demonstrated negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Proficiency and comfort working in an automated office environment with demonstrated competency working with Microsoft Office components and Adobe software
- Demonstrated scholarly activities
- Proven ability to develop and promote effective internal and external partnerships and agreements
- Proven ability in research grant/proposal writing and application
- Demonstrated skills in budget development and balancing operational budget priorities
- Demonstrated knowledge in the development and implementation of effective strategic / business plans
- Experience, knowledge and understanding of working effectively in a diverse and unionized environment
||Permanent - Administration
||Apply online by clicking the "Apply Now!" button"
"Proof of credentials or equivalencies from accredited regional or federal post secondary institutions and/or their foreign equivalents will be required at the time of job offer."
When applying, your cover letter and résumé should include examples that reflect all of the requested skills and qualifications and must be submitted online by June 10, 2013. Please quote Competition #13-A-08. Misrepresentation of applicant information will be grounds for your exclusion from the competition or for dismissal should you subsequently be hired for the position. We regret we cannot accept phone calls. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those
selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are committed to providing persons with disabilities equal opportunities regarding all employment activities, including access to jobs and accommodations during employment as required, in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC
||$79,654 to $118,349 annually