To apply for a job, please click on the Apply Now!
If you do not see a job that is suitable for you, feel free to make a general resume submission by clicking on the Submit Resume
button at the top.
Apply Now! Tell A Friend
Diversity, equity and inclusion are fundamental to our mission to educate students. We are committed to education that places strong emphasis on global citizenship, social justice and equity. We live this value through the strength and richness that diversity brings to our workforce and welcome contributors from equity groups including: Aboriginal Peoples, Visible Minorities, Persons with Disabilities, Lesbian Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer persons.
||Professor – English and ESL (2 Positions)
||Progress, Ashtonbee, Morningside and Centre for Creative Communications
School of Advancement
The successful candidate will teach developmental reading and writing in classroom and computer laboratory settings in the School of Advancement. The incumbent will participate in English and ESL program and course development, course modifications, program advisory committees, applied research initiatives, community outreach and on-going future program needs.
- Use effective interpersonal communication skills with students, faculty, support staff, management and external partners or community members, showing a sensitivity to intercultural communication
- Provide and promote a respectful and supportive environment based on the principles of inclusion, equity and diversity
- Work effectively in a team-based environment
- Use a variety of appropriate teaching/learning strategies
- Use academic technology effectively to enhance and support learning
- Evaluate student achievement of learning outcomes using a variety of techniques
- Develop, revise, adapt and share appropriate learning resources for students
- Revise and update learning resources on an annual basis
- Engage students to create a positive teaching and learning environment
- Critically examine learning materials and classroom instructional practice for discriminatory bias or barriers
- Provide academic support to students as part of regularly scheduled office hours
- Contribute as a subject matter expert to support curriculum development and revision
- Participate in Reflective Practice for Professional Development
- Remain current in technical knowledge and instructional delivery techniques
- Attend meetings, maintain records of student grades/assessments, and participate in meetings and activities pertinent to faculty responsibilities
- MA, Master’s Degree in one of the following disciplines: English, Developmental Reading and Writing/ Education, Applied Linguistics/ Linguistics, Education/ Adult Education or TESOL
- TESL certificate training to TESL Ontario standards, or equivalent. TESL certification must be completed as part of the probationary period. TESL diploma preferred.
- A minimum of 3-5 years experience teaching English, ESL, or Communications at the post-secondary level
- Demonstrated experience in teaching developmental reading and composition, communications, and critical thinking skills to adult students
- Ability to address language proficiency issues as they influence teaching and learning
Demonstrated experience in course or learning materials development
Demonstrated ability to use technology in the classroom and/ or in a virtual learning environment
Demonstrated understanding of diversity, equity and inclusion to meet the needs of our diverse students, staff and college community
Demonstrated ability to work with a team
Experience working with underprepared students at the college level
||Permanent - Academic
Apply online by clicking the "Apply Now! button.
"Proof of credentials or equivalencies from accredited regional or federal post secondary institutions and/or their foreign equivalents will be required at the time of job offer."
When applying, your cover letter and résumé must include examples that reflect all of the requested skills and qualifications and must be submitted electronically by November 29, 2012. Please quote Competition # 12-F-45. Misrepresentation of applicant information will be grounds for your exclusion from the competition or for dismissal should you subsequently be hired for the position. We regret we cannot accept phone calls. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
||As per Academic Collective Agreement