To apply for a job, please click on the Apply Now!
If you do not see a job that is suitable for you, feel free to make a general resume submission by clicking on the Submit Resume
button at the top.
Apply Now! Tell A Friend
Diversity, equity and inclusion are fundamental to our mission to educate students. We are committed to education that places strong emphasis on global citizenship, social justice and equity. We live this value through the strength and richness that diversity brings to our workforce and welcome contributors from equity groups including: Aboriginal Peoples, Visible Minorities, Persons with Disabilities, Lesbian Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer persons.
||Director of Applied Research and Innovation
||Reporting to the Associate VP, Applied Research and Corporate Planning, the Director of Applied Research and Innovation is an institutional leader and the executive manager for the advancement of applied research at Centennial College. As head of Centennial’s Applied Research and Innovation Centre (ARIC), the Director will creatively build upon the College’s applied research vision and design and implement strategy to continue to position Centennial as an outstanding institution for applied research among all Colleges in Canada. The incumbent will be a highly skilled, experienced professional with proven abilities in conducting research and developing and managing research programs, with strong credentials from senior positions in both academia and business. The Director will grow research capacity and capability; foster innovation and technology transfer, developing and implementing policies, procedures and best practices for all research and related scholarly activities; act as a consultant to advise College researchers through the full lifecycle of a research project; and be responsible for all administration, fiscal and HR management, and resource planning to ensure the growth and pre-eminent status of ARIC, its managers, staff and research affiliates.
1. Lead the vision, strategy, plan and development of applied research and innovation excellence at Centennial.
- Applied research excellence. Act as a leader and subject matter expert on applied research within Centennial and in the provincial and national research community. Develop a research program committed to faculty, staff and student engagement and industry focus, enhancing the College’s vision of transforming lives and communities through learning.
- Strategy and plan. Forge new research directions in a strategic business plan. Identify applied research initiatives, oversee innovative programs to increase growth and diversity, and potentially generate revenue.
- Technology transfer and commercialization. Lead applied research commercialization activities, identify and respond to industry-driven technology transfer needs, ensure IP protection and policy for all research stakeholders and partners.
2. Manage all administrative and operational activities of ARIC to build research infrastructure and accelerate growth and maturity in applied research. Manage execution of best practices in all relevant management disciplines.
- Finance management and grants. Be accountable for and oversee ARIC’s total fiscal performance. Through ARIC’s Finance Manager, manage reporting; grow research funding with new opportunities; develop new research grant proposals.
- HR management. Attract highly qualified personnel to join ARIC. Build a high performance team, set challenging goals and optimize the team’s ability to work proactively and effectively in delivering ARIC’s research services.
- Business process management. Apply best practices in business processes through process mapping and reengineering to optimize efficiencies and “make research easy”. Build clean interfaces and hand-offs to other organizational units.
- Opportunity management. Manage opportunities from lead generation, opportunity identification, project proposal submission and qualification, project definition, approval and contractual agreement. Proactively manage opportunities through market research and intelligence, identifying key sectors, technologies and businesses for collaboration.
- Project management. Manage research projects through ARIC staff and implement continuous improvement processes.
3. Build alliances and networks for applied research within the College and externally in public and private sectors.
- Act as resource to the Deans and Chairs who coordinate the work of academic researchers, research teams and students. Facilitate key academic, governmental, non-governmental, community and industry partnerships. Implement incentives to increase faculty involvement in applied research and e-learning projects.
4. Direct all ARIC marketing and communications for brand strength, awareness and engagement in applied research.
- Collaborate with Marketing and Communications on a knowledge translation plan to disseminate research information, and collaborate with IT on the technology plan to facilitate research initiatives. Host the Applied Research and Innovation Symposium, delivering presentations, workshops, and outreach events to industry, and participate in high profile events such as OCE Discovery.
- Master’s degree with preference to specialization in Sciences, Engineering and Business. Ph.D. is preferred.
- An additional MBA or business diploma or certificate would be an asset.
- Minimum 9 years of progressive senior level experience in a related function within an academic environment, preferably combined with senior management experience in a business environment. Strong familiarity with the College environment.
- Extensive experience in directing research proposal development, policy development and evaluative technologies and proven track record in managing innovation, technology transfer and commercialization of applied research.
- Experience negotiating, developing and managing multi-institutional and multi-stakeholder agreements/contracts, especially with respect to IP terms and conditions.
- Outstanding management and administration abilities applied to finance, human resources, business development, alliances, marketing and client relationships.
- Expert oral and written communication skills for presenting to academic and business audiences.
||Permanent - Administration
Apply online by clicking the "Apply Now!" button
"Proof of credentials or equivalencies from accredited regional or federal post secondary institutions and/or their foreign equivalents will be required at the time of job offer."
If you are qualified for this position, please apply as soon as possible. When applying, your cover letter and résumé should include examples that reflect all of the requested skills and qualifications and must be submitted online by May 15, 2013 quoting Competition #13-A-07 Misrepresentation of applicant information will be grounds for your exclusion from the competition or for dismissal should you subsequently be hired for the position. We regret we cannot accept phone calls. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are committed to providing persons with disabilities equal opportunities regarding all employment activities, including access to jobs and accommodations during employment as required, in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC
||$89,578 to $119,437 (Payband 13)