One of the sunniest regions in BC's Lower Mainland, Delta embraces three unique communities - Ladner, North Delta and Tsawwassen. The Corporation of Delta is looking for dedicated individuals to join our team and share in our commitment to lead the way in public service excellence.
If you are interested in this position with The Corporation of Delta, click Apply Now
and we will walk you through our Online Application process. If you know of someone who might be interested in this job posting, please Tell a Friend
||Labourer 2: Invasive Plant Management Team
||Temporary Full Time
|Nature & Scope of Work
Location: conducting fieldwork throughout the agricultural areas of Delta
Term: Approximately May 8, 2017 – August 11, 2017
Number of positions: 3
Hours of work: 7:00am-3:30pm
Working as part of a team, you will be responsible for the identification and removal of invasive agricultural weeds by use of weed whips and/or gas-powered weed-eaters. A portion of your time (3-4 weeks) will be spent removing other invasive plants in Boundary Bay and other natural areas, completing riparian restoration works and inventorying invasive species using a handheld GPS. Other duties as assigned.
|Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
You must enjoy working outdoors performing regular, repetitive physical activity in all weather conditions. Required skills include the following:
- Able to work independently and in a team environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience and/or knowledge of invasive species management
- Native and invasive plant identification skills
- Ability to read maps, collect and record data
- Knowledge and use of handheld GPS units
- Experience maintaining and using small hand tools such as weed-eaters
- An understanding of Delta’s geography and natural features
- Ability to maintain records on daily activities and on other required duties
|Desirable Training & Experience
- Preference given to applicants currently enrolled in an undergraduate or diploma program with a focus on natural resources/environmental studies
- First Aid Level 1 would be an asset
|Required Licences, Certificates and Registrations
||Valid Class 5 Driver’s Licence for Province of British Columbia
||Incumbents are required to follow all applicable Safe Work Procedures, participate in Occupational Health & Safety training and meetings, and to report any hazards in the workplace.
|Compensation, Salary and Benefits
||The Corporation of Delta provides a competitive salary of $27.45 per hour + 6% in lieu of benefits.
|Posting Closing Date
The Corporation of Delta thanks all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates under consideration for the job posting will be contacted. Preferred candidates will be required to complete a satisfactory Police Information Check and may also be required to submit a current Driver’s Abstract.